Into Orbit...Language of Letting Go

Old 07-06-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thumbs up Into Orbit...Language of Letting Go

Many have lately posted about how hard it is to let go, and the fear attached to what will happen if they are not there. This is one of my favourite readings about that...and by chance, it is the reading from Language of Letting Go for June 7th...TODAY! Coincidence? I think not.

Enjoy.

Into Orbit

It doesn't matter if they're hurting themselves. It doesn't matter that we could help them if they'd only listen to, and cooperate with, us. IT DOESN'T MATTER, DOESN'T MATTER, DOESN'T MATTER, DOESN'T MATTER.
—Codependent No More

I think I can change him. Nobody's ever really loved him and appreciated him before. I'll be the one to do that, and then he'll change. . . . She's never been with anybody trustworthy before. I'll prove how trustworthy I am, and then she'll be able to love. . . . Nobody's been able to get to her, to conquer her, before. I'll be the one to do that. . . . Nobody's ever really given him a chance. . . . Nobody's ever really believed in him before. . . .

These are warning signs. Red lights. Red flags. In fact, if we're thinking these thoughts, they need to be stop signs.

If we have gotten hooked into believing that somehow we will be the one who will make the difference in someone's life, if we are trying to prove how good we can be for someone, we may be in trouble.

This is a game. A deception. It won't work. It'll make us crazy. We can trust that. We're not seeing things clearly. Something's going on with us. It will be self-defeating.

We may be "the one" all right - the one to wind up victimized.

The whole thought pattern reeks of codependency, of not being responsible for oneself, and of victimization. Each person needs to do his or her own work.

Nobody in the past has really understood him. . . . Nobody has seen what I see in her. . . . It's a set up. It sets us up to stop paying attention to ourselves while we focus too much on the other person. It takes us away from our path and often puts us in orbit.

Nobody has appreciated him enough. . . . Nobody has been good enough to her, or done for her what I can do. . . . It's a rescue. It's a game move, a game we don't have to play. We don't have to prove we're the one. If we're out to show people we're the best thing that ever happened to them, it may be time to see if they're the best thing that ever happened to us.

We have not been appointed as guardian angel, godmother, godfather, or "the one who will."

The help, support, and encouragement that truly benefits others and ourselves emerges naturally. Let it.

God, help me let go of my need to meet dysfunctional challenges in my relationships.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie
Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If we have gotten hooked into believing that somehow we will be the one who will make the difference in someone's life, if we are trying to prove how good we can be for someone, we may be in trouble.
I thought that I was "the one" who could save my son. If I provided a good safe loving home, good food and of course good guidance (a lovely word for control and manipulation)...that my son would suddenly see the light and save himself.

What happened instead was that it almost killed me and he ended up worse for the help because it delayed lessons and consequences that he needed to experience to find his own way.

This reading today is one I have read hundreds of times, literally, and perhaps the one reading that got through to me when my ears were plugged and my mind was closed.

Hugs
Old 07-06-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this, I needed this today. Had some of these thoughts just last week with someone I have developed some feelings for. He's not alcoholic (not that I can tell) but he seems hurt and isn't ready for a relationship right now.
I can't fix that or love him out of it. I let him go with love to heal on his own time. I can't make a relationship with someone who is broken and needs to heal.
Thanks again for this wisdom.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you, kitty. I too find it helpful to use my recovery tools in all aspects of my life. It doesn't make life's problems go away but it makes making healthy decisions easier and knowing what is and what is not ours to control is a huge lesson that took me forever to learn.

Hugs
Old 07-06-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love, love, love!!! This was me 100% when I met my husband and throughout our relationship. I thought I could be this amazing saving grace for him and look at where it left me. A single mom of two kids. My eyes are now opened...I won't ignore the red flags EVER AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, Ann. What you've shared is positive and is useful information for me.