Almost a year later.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost a year later.

It's been almost a year since I left my ex boyfriend. As many of you know, he was an opiate addict over the last 10+ years. The experience has changed me, I know I will never be the same, but ultimately I am grateful for the experience because it has shown me what I will never settle for/put myself through again.

I am now in a very healthy, loving, respectful relationship with someone I was introduced to via my boss. Let's call him JB.

Because of my experience, countless al anon meetings and getting my codependency in check, my relationship with JB is simply easy. There are no explosions, no serious fights, no chaos, no unpredictability. I go home to him and I know he will be sober (he is not an addict or alcoholic,) I know he will not disappear in the middle of the night, I know I don't need to check his phone, or look in his wallet for absurd amounts of cash, I know I don't need to keep an eye on my purse, or worry about him going out with friends. I don't lose sleep when he comes home late from work, I don't have a sick/anxious/overwhelming pit in my stomach and think "something is off." Most importantly, I am respected. I can talk to him about anything without fear of mood swings, verbal abuse, physical abuse. He is tender, he never speaks to me harshly, we have a healthy balance of work, friends, family and one another. He makes me feel safe.

I remember after finally leaving my ex, I thought I would never be happy again. That I was, in a sense, broken. My self love was low, "if he really loved me, he would get sober, etc. etc." I thought I would not love someone again, I expected the worst from anyone I met, I doubted anyone had sincere good intentions, I thought relationships were supposed to be difficult and painful.

For anyone on this forum who feels this way, or is scared to leave. I just want to say it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I am at peace and my happiness is untouchable. Just wanted to check in incase someone needed to hear this.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I needed to hear this...so thank you for sharing and showing there is light at the end of the tunnel! I'm still fresh into my separation from my AH. That's great to hear you are so happy! 😍
Old 06-17-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hope...This is one great update! Thank you for reminding all of us what normal should feel like!

Hugs!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HPL - Happy for you! I love hearing about positive endings, whatever they may look like.

I am married to AH and its really back and forth right now. I don't know what our future looks like, feeling like I can't take much more, etc... I think ahead and think of the "what ifs"... What if we don't work out, and I go back to the single life. I doubt a lot that I would be able to trust anyone again as far as a romantic relationship goes. I feel like I would question every little thing (internally) for quite a while. I feel like this wall I've built would go with me into any future relationship.

Did you feel like that?
Old 06-17-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great post, thank you for sharing. I'm so happy for you. Big hug!
Old 06-17-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hope778 View Post
I feel like I would question every little thing (internally) for quite a while. I feel like this wall I've built would go with me into any future relationship.

Did you feel like that?
Hope,

Initially, of course. I spoke with my Alanon sponsor and told him, things can't be like this forever, he is polite and funny, he is just so nice." My sponsor told me, "(you) keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and it doesn't always do that." When I was first introduced to JB 8 months ago, it was far too soon out of my last relationship to consider dating. I remember thinking "that's the kind of man I want to be with." He followed up with me a few months later and took me to lunch. We've been together since, but it has recently gotten more serious.

For me, being with my ex was so much of a habit. I was used to the routine, familiar with the chaos. I couldn't see myself existing really without it. But now, in hindsight, I realize I was JUST existing at the time--now I am living.

Do you attend Alanon/Naranon? That is really what gave me the strength to cut the cord and go NC ultimately.

Big hugs.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am happy for you. You took time to heal and find your balance before getting into this relationship and I think that is an important factor.

Thank you for sharing your story. You are a beacon of light to those who think life will never be happy agsin.

Hugs
Old 06-17-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopepraylove View Post
I am at peace and my happiness is untouchable.
What a awesome statement!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hope778 View Post
HPL - Happy for you! I love hearing about positive endings, whatever they may look like.

I am married to AH and its really back and forth right now. I don't know what our future looks like, feeling like I can't take much more, etc... I think ahead and think of the "what ifs"... What if we don't work out, and I go back to the single life. I doubt a lot that I would be able to trust anyone again as far as a romantic relationship goes. I feel like I would question every little thing (internally) for quite a while. I feel like this wall I've built would go with me into any future relationship.

Did you feel like that?
I feel like that! I have such a hard time seeing a future with someone else. I always felt like I was very in tuned to my surroundings, only to find out I was not. My AH was probably using our whole 5 year relationship without me knowing (although suspicious). So I feel like I have lost my trust not only in him but in myself and my abilities to judge ones character.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Atta girl...
Old 06-18-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for this.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunshine1234 View Post
I feel like I have lost my trust not only in him but in myself and my abilities to judge ones character.
Yep, that would be me.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes! I needed this! Thank you thank you!!