Headed to first meeting

Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeakGirl View Post
I don't believe that it is *just like* any other disease.

Addiction isn't diabetes. Diabetes isn't cancer. Cancer isn't arthritis. Arthritis isn't Chicken Pox.

Addiction is addiction, with its own unique set of challenges. That's what I meant to say.
^^^^ I love this WG.

I believe our human brains need some kind of paradigm to understand our world. Like electrons act like particles and also act like waves but they really are neither; however physicists can do amazing things by thinking about electrons this way.

I read Craig Ferguson's memoirs. He is the Scottish tv personality and also a recovering alcoholic. When he went to rehab, he told his sponsor that he didn't think Alcoholism was a disease. The sponsor told him, "It doesn't matter what you think because it will truly help you to see it as a disease."

I really support thinking about addiction in any way it is helpful. If thinking of alcoholics as petty criminal ar$e$, then go ahead and think that way. (I know that last sentence isn't what you are saying WG; I'm just making a point. )

Big hug all round. Whatever the addiction is it is so very very hard to deal with!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alterity View Post
The LO is not a reflection of you, logically, but in the United States (not so sure how prevalent it is in other societies) guilt by association is ubiquitous. If it wasn't so extremely common, I would have no worry whatsoever about attending face-to-face meetings.
You are so right about this! My brother in law has been so caring and helpful through out all of the awful stuff my husband has put me and the kids through. (my bro in law has a girlfriend so it's not that) But my family members want me to have nothing to do with him cause in their eyes he "must be just like his brother". It's totally not fair. I would hate for someone to judge me based on my siblings or parents because we are all completely different.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Honestly, I was unsure about commenting on why I was so riled up about the "addiction is just like" comparisons, but I've decided that it is okay.

Someone basically asked me if I would kick my brother out if he were homeless because he had cancer "because addiction is just like cancer." No, it's not. The cancer dealer won't show up at my home with guns because he didn't get paid. It's very, very, very different. Also, I'm particularly sensitive about cancer, as a recent survivor who is still feeling less than fully human after the surgeries I had.

Edit - That has not been a present attitude at any meeting since among anyone who has returned. I think it was just a misunderstanding between myself and a member.

Last edited by WeakGirl; 07-07-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: To add a thought.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeakGirl View Post
Honestly, I was unsure about commenting on why I was so riled up about the "addiction is just like" comparisons, but I've decided that it is okay.

Someone basically asked me if I would kick my brother out if he were homeless because he had cancer "because addiction is just like cancer." No, it's not. The cancer dealer won't show up at my home with guns because he didn't get paid. It's very, very, very different. Also, I'm particularly sensitive about cancer, as a recent survivor who is still feeling less than fully human after the surgeries I had.

Edit - That has not been a present attitude at any meeting since among anyone who has returned. I think it was just a misunderstanding between myself and a member.
My bestfriend is a cancer survivor as well, and in no way would I ever compare addiction to cancer. If not treated addiction can also be terminal, but treating addicts like cancer patients can be enabling. The person in question will eventually learn this, and probably the hard way like most of us.

I'm sorry to hear of anybody who's compared to their addict sibling/relative. I'm in Canada, and I hear of this happening a bit but not often.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PlasticInsanity View Post
I'm sorry to hear of anybody who's compared to their addict sibling/relative. I'm in Canada, and I hear of this happening a bit but not often.
There was a local police officer who repeatedly searched me. He told me once, "We know what your brother is doing and can't catch him. He's too smart but you're not as smart as him." (It's a small town.)

He found out what a family with lots of really smart attorneys can do about harassment.

I don't mind being compared to my brother, though. He IS brilliant. He's good in a lot of ways. I will always defend him in any way except about his addiction.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Someone on another thread responded to the question,

"Would you kick this person out if they had cancer?"

With "If he kept going to the corner store (or local dealer) for cancer I sure would."
Old 07-12-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Someone on another thread responded to the question,

"Would you kick this person out if they had cancer?"

With "If he kept going to the corner store (or local dealer) for cancer I sure would."
THIS. This raises such an important issue that I am starting a new thread with it.