First time poster- conflicted wife of an addict.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Part of the reason he is so opposed to the Suboxone clinics is the fact that his career has him in the public sector, dealing with people who he could very well run into in those places. Having that be a known fact about himself would make his job pretty tough/impossible to continue.

we call this QUACKING. if he was THAT worried about his CAREER and reputation, he wouldn't be taking pills in the first place!! and he wouldn't be buying subs or anything else illegally.

the addict will do ANYTHING to protect and defend their drug use. it's the prime directive OF addiction.

there is another group on this forum, specifically for addicts trying to deal with methadone/suboxene maintenance and detox Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information give it a read, see the struggles there.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What Anvil said. Also many psych doctors prescribe Suboxone. You don't have to go to a clinic like you normally would for Methadone (although that is not always true either). Many people see psychiatrists and no one knows why you are there except for you and the doctor.

As far as the Sub is concerned it is very easy to go from Sub back to opiates. I used to take a day off the Sub and get back on the H train. Yes the reverse can throw you into Precipitated withdrawals, but if you switch back and forth without staying on the opiate too long it is doable. My thing was once I got back into full agonist opioids never wanted to go back to the sub until I was beat up enough.

You said yourself in an earlier post that he always goes back to pills when he runs out of Sub so sounds like you can do the math on what he is up to now. If you come off Suboxone slowly (with a doctors help) it is manageable. Opiate Replacement Therapy has its place and helps a lot of people, but I have seen lots and lots of people abuse Suboxone and many doctors don't seem to understand its abuse potential. You can get high on it and it is sold on the street which is basically where your husband is buying it. Self Medicating just doesn't work for us addicts.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

detox

Originally Posted by Sunshine1234 View Post
I'm curious since you have taken Suboxone...what is detoxing off of it like? My husband claims he has stopped taking it this last week and he seems fine. He has been on it for about two years. I told him I don't believe he has stopped taking it because he's still working many hours a day and seems fine. Does it sound like he's pulling another one over me?
I am prescribed 8 mg a day-I can't stand the taste so I take 1/2 a tablet (I'm on the tablet bc my insurance only covers that) in the morning and 90% of the time I don't need the other half at night. I can tell when I'm starting to feel like it's my next dose and if I don't feel I need it, I don't take it. I was under the impression that Suboxone was so easy to ween off of, but according to most people who have done it, it is not. I know you taper down very, very slowly. I actually haven't done it. It helps me with opiate cravings tremendously and I only have 16 months sober, so I'm going to stay on it a little longer before I start tapering. Plus my doctor says the right time to start tapering is when there are no major changes going on in your life-like buying a house, starting school, getting married, changing jobs--just to avoid the stress.

As far as I know, and I have not done it so I can't swear to it, it seems unlikely that your loved one has just stopped taking it and is okay. I know people do experience some discomfort when they are tapering, like trouble sleeping, restless leg syndrome, anxiety, cramps. So he probably is pulling one over on you. I used to keep my strips in my wallet in between credit cards. Or in pages of books. If you can find them, you can prove he's still using them. Unfortunately, unless he wants to get sober, he won't.

Good luck. You are in my prayers<3
Old 06-04-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pandblvr View Post
I am prescribed 8 mg a day-I can't stand the taste so I take 1/2 a tablet (I'm on the tablet bc my insurance only covers that) in the morning and 90% of the time I don't need the other half at night. I can tell when I'm starting to feel like it's my next dose and if I don't feel I need it, I don't take it. I was under the impression that Suboxone was so easy to ween off of, but according to most people who have done it, it is not. I know you taper down very, very slowly. I actually haven't done it. It helps me with opiate cravings tremendously and I only have 16 months sober, so I'm going to stay on it a little longer before I start tapering. Plus my doctor says the right time to start tapering is when there are no major changes going on in your life-like buying a house, starting school, getting married, changing jobs--just to avoid the stress.

As far as I know, and I have not done it so I can't swear to it, it seems unlikely that your loved one has just stopped taking it and is okay. I know people do experience some discomfort when they are tapering, like trouble sleeping, restless leg syndrome, anxiety, cramps. So he probably is pulling one over on you. I used to keep my strips in my wallet in between credit cards. Or in pages of books. If you can find them, you can prove he's still using them. Unfortunately, unless he wants to get sober, he won't.

Good luck. You are in my prayers<3
He ended up telling me he took a strip because he needed to work a long shift at work. I don't see a light at the end of this tunnel. Thank you for responding. This website has helped me tremendously! <3 <3 <3