Confronted them about meth use... woof...

Old 05-23-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confronted them about meth use... woof...

Well, I confronted my brother and his wife about their crystal meth use tonight. Now, I'm just sitting here all in my emotions...

I asked them what kind of speed they were on this weekend. Blank stares. I pointed out that they didn't go to bed all weekend. (I know because I have severe anxiety-induced insomnia and I didn't sleep all weekend, either. At first, they tried to convince me that I was confused. When I wouldn't relent, it was that they were just so busy they didn't sleep. I just sat here and stared at my brother until he finally said, "Well, we did a little but it was just because we had a lot of work we had to do."

I told them that they had to move very, very soon because we wouldn't go on their rollercoaster ride with them. They were impossible last night while the withdrawals were starting. He was like, "Oh, last night? I was just drunk!" I guess that's supposed to be better? He's like, "I haven't been using using or anything! I don't have a problem!"

Anyway, they left a few minutes later and said they'd be back. No clue where they are... but their dogs are here.

Ugh. I had meant to tell them they had to leave when they got his next paycheck but I was having so much trouble trying to sound resolved that I messed up and said "soon."

There's a rent by the week hotel in town. They can go there. Or wherever. They just can't stay here.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

one option....grab some Hefty bags, round up their stuff, leave it on the porch and LOCK the door. let the dogs stay tho. poor babies.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I want to keep the babies. Unfortunately, my two rescues don't play well with others. I feel sorry for the puppies, though. And they're so CUTE. I'd love to adopt them out through rescue.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

we have an American Bulldog, not a rescue, but we've had her since she was about 7 weeks old. she is an AWESOME dog, now 7 yrs old, 125 pounds....with humans....but not so much with other dogs.

ok, not at ALL.....she would not accept any "new" dogs. nor would we put her in that position. cuz it won't go well for the 'other' dog......

last week a friend of ours showed up WITH his dog ( we have asked him numerous to NOT bring his dog)...a pitbull/mastiff blend, bigger than our dog and they played fine for MOST of the day....until our bulldog decided enough was enough when the bigger MALE dog went for HER stick. she grabbed him by the throat and held him down and did NOT let go.

which is WHY we tell people DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG.

just as THEM (humans) being in your home is disruptive, the additional dogs are disruptive. and its not good for anybody.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Our two don't attack the new dog... they attack each other. We had them both for years and everything was cool. The first time they attacked each other, I was in absolute shock. And it was bad. BAD. And I freaked out and reached in between them. They both got serious cuts to the face and I had busted blood vessels in my arm and hand. My brother had brought, and eventually left without, another dog then.

I was in shock because they're so loving to people and to each other normally. In fact, we only keep one dog bed in each main room now, because they insist on curling up together anyway.

The veterinarian said it was because they've both been starved before we got them. A new animal entering the environment makes them think there might not be enough, so they try to assert dominance. Survival of the fittest instinct.

For now, I've been able to keep them mostly calm through much effort. There are literally plates of dog food sitting every few feet in my floor at the moment. haha. But there have been two conflicts, not extreme ones. Still, I plain don't want them under stress. That's why they're here. They've been through more than they ever deserved and now they should know they're safe. That's the whole point in rescuing a dog. I feel awful.

Everyone knows they can't bring dogs here. The first night my brother and SIL showed up, they slept in the car because I told them not to bring the dogs in. When I got home the next day, they and the dogs were in the house. Ugh.

I love big dogs! I bet your boy is great.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not saying you should keep dogs that make you uncomfortable but there are ways of dealing with the behavior you are having. I work with dogs and could give you some techniques if youre interested just message me. Again I'm not trying to talk you into keeping the dogs. They are your brothers responsibility noy yours
Old 05-27-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you! I will message you. They left with their dogs (which is one of the things I'm feeling guilty for atm) but I still need to know the best way to handle this. I'm sure it's not the last time my dogs will be exposed to other canines. It's generous of you to help!