My Joey , I will miss you forever.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Joey , I will miss you forever.

My first post on SR was in Jan of 2009. My son Joey was 17 years old, it seems like it was a life time ago. Over the years he has stayed clean for long periods of time, however about a year and a half go things spiraled out of control and after many arrests he found him self behind bars on Dec 2, 2015 as a mother this was horrifying , my son isn't jail material. First time I got to see him, I asked him how he was doing and he said "I'm good, it's like vacation" really that was his words, he said oh the food sucks but my brain is on vacation I'm not worried where the next fix is coming from and the people in here they understand me. Every week I would visit him and offer a new place I found hoping maybe he would be interested in going ..... Long term rehabs. Nope no interest, I would ask him anything I can do, Nope nothing. He had changed there was no desire left in him, no willingness to try. He didn't lie to me, he told me. I didn't want to hear it but he told me. Saturday March 26 , 2016 @ 8 am the whole family went to pick him up from jail..... it's time to come home, we have to take him Monday to be hooked up for house arrest but the rest of the weekend is ours. We were really excited to have him home, Joey always had a hilarious sense of humor even in the darkest times, he would bust out something. It was an amazing day of family time, I could tell Joey was off his brain just wasn't working the way it should. I asked him if he would like to go to a meeting, nope I'm good he said. We all went out to dinner and got back home about 8:30. Around 9:30 my daughter was getting ready to go home and Joey was gone. He left he got a hold of someone on his cell phone ( I never deactivated it ) and took off. We spent the rest of the weekend texting and trying to reason with him to get back for his appt Monday morning. He never replied except to text a goodbye at 6:30 the following day (Sunday) he then left his phone on a wall under the bridge a few miles from our house. Monday (28th) we got to work handing out missing person posters and plastering his face on Facebook we knew this wasn't going to be good. Once he didn't show up to be hooked up, the PO got a warrant out for him and we could get the police onboard to help and list him as a missing person who is in danger. For 17 days we posted, walked the tracks, drove to shelters..... All the things you would do when someone is missing and not one person said they saw him. It was cold out during them days we even got snow one night and 4 nights it was down in the 20s. On April 14 we were at a meeting and got a call from the police they wanted to see us. As my husband was on the phone with them. I got on my phone and brought up the local news and seen a body was found not far from the area my son was last known to be........ It was him, it was My Joey !!! Words don't begin to describe the pain or the shattering your heart feels when you know it's over. Any hopes just die right then and there, now you are no longer the parent of a drug addict. You are the parent who has lost their child to addiction .
His body was only there at the most 2 days, yet we have no idea where he was the other days. So much don't make sense and although the police are working with us to find answers, I know this was Joeys will. He left our house because we would never let him give up and he was done trying. After his last overdose when I had to bust his door down to get to him, it took 4 hits of Narcan to bring him back. Leaving the hospital he said to me WHY? Why did you save me? I said Joey I'm not ready to lose you and his words were; you need to let me go and stop being so selfish. I know he is at peace and drugs can't hurt him more. I know longer live In fear. Oh the pain is raw but I am thankful I had an amazing son who knew we loved him. His father wrote and delivered his eulogy , not a dry eye in the room he did an amazing job. Joey's Facebook page has become a place his friend post memories about him .... If you want please look at it sometime it's under Joey Ressler
Rest in pease my son, I love you always.
H. Joesph Ressler 3rd
9/23/1991
4/14/2016

Last edited by Dee74; 05-16-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: removed email address
Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing with us.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh wow. That is so, so sad. I'm so sorry that the horrible disease of addiction took yet another life. It sounds like your family did every possible thing to help.

May your entire family heal from this and receive grace and peace.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had to take out the email address - I'm sure the last thing anyone would want would be for some lowlife to use his email address for spam.

D
Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss. Have comfort in the fact that he knew he was loved xo
Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss. I saw the title of your thread and had to read it. I lost a dear friend, Joseph, to a heroin overdose several years ago. We went out to lunch and he told me he was done doing that. He was never going to do heroin again. Less than two weeks later he was dead. My heart was broken. Thank you for sharing. Our Joeys are at peace now.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your pain. The words I'm sorry doesn't help, I know. My heart is hurting for you. May God give you strength. He is no longer suffering and with that hopefully you will find a fraction of peace. Take care of yourself the best you can. Sending love and strength.
Mama
Old 05-17-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My heart hurts for you, I am so sorry you lost your Joey, as the mother of an addict I can only imagine your pain.

Thank you for sharing this here, it is so well written and sadly, a story we are all too familiar with...some of us haven't reached the ending yet, but it awaits every dark night that our child is lost in addiction.

God bless you and your family, may your words help one other addict who may read them and know it could have been them.

Hugs from my heart to yours.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My deepest sympathies.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Heart wrenching, as too many stories of addiction become. So sorry for the loss of your son.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So very sorry for your loss.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
It's strange. All of us here at FFSA understand that if left unchallenged, addiction leads to a premature end. And yet when we lose someone we know and love to addiction, it never cease to shock us or sadden us.

I can't imagine what this feels like for you, MyJoey. To say I'm sorry for your loss feels inadequate. The days and weeks to come are going to be very difficult for you. My hope is if and when you need us, you turn to us, for we'll always be here for you.

God bless Joey.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are in my heart. Sending lots of hugs, love, and light your way. I cannot even imagine.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh gosh. This is so tragic. I am sorry for your loss.

Your title caught my attention. My son's name is Joey. I read your post and tears came to my eyes. There are no adequate words to express my deepest sympathies.

You are in my thoughts.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, this could save someone else's life... I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish here was something I could do to help.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so very sorry...
Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry your loss. My heart breaks for you and your family. Sending prayers to you and family during this difficult time.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss! You will be in my prayers.....
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

I hope and pray that Joey has found peace.