The struggle is over.....

Old 04-27-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The struggle is over.....

Hello fellow loved ones of addicts. Im here to to first appologize for my absence as it has been awhile since I last posted and was active in here. And secondly to thank all those that helped me through some of the most horrific times of my life. Coming here made a new me and one Im thankful for. As I do not think I would have seeked help for myself and found a life worth living as I was addicted to my loved one. After 20 some years with a heavy heart I am sad to announce my loved one did not make it. Although he struggled to be clean, many rehabs/detoxes and bouts of sobriety his last relapse was his last. I was married to him for over 20 years and we divorced, he found a bottom got help and struggled to stay clean. We remained friends and were actually best friends, just wasn't husband and wife. I got to know him in a way I couldnt as a wife. I know he isnt in any more pain but the day to day pain I feel of his loss is overwhelming at times. But I know his torment of wanting to be clean and sober is over. I know when he was using he told me all he could think about is his family and wanting to be clean to be around us. But when he was clean all he could think about is being high and knew he coudnt have both. So his struggles was tormenting and very sad. But I learned to love him for who he was and he knew when he was using he had to stay away from the family, when he was clean he was amazing and the life of the family unit. Im just here today because I truly feel this place saved me. And although Im hurting Im also at peace because I know his suffering is over. Please pray for my family as we need closure to a lifelong struggle. Some of us are blaming thereselves because they finally 'let go and let god', which is what had to be done or drown with him trying to save him. Everything you can imagine was done, interventions, screaming crying, try to use psycology, calling the police, turning in drug dealers, putting ourselves in harms way, you name it we done it. Nothing worked till he was ready for himself. Well I love you all and ima try to be here more often to share in my experiences and things I learned which was a great deal through here.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Barbie, Hugs to you and my deepest sympathy. I will pray for peace and closure for you and yours.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So very sorry for your loss. I admire your courage and strength in coming back and sharing your heartfelt story.

((hugs))
Old 04-27-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Barbie, I am so very sorry for your loss, and sad for all who loved him.

Your story shows what a good heart you had and reflects with dignity the struggle addicts face daily, sometimes for their entire life...until it ends tragically like this.

My prayers go out for all of you. May he find peace now in the arms of God.

Hugs
Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. It is what we all fear (I think), and your post reminds me that even if the worst happens, it is at least the end of a struggle for everyone. Prayers for you and your lost loved one. Peace.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry 1dayatatime.
D
Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
It's funny. You joined us in December 2004, but I'm fairly certain that his struggles began before that day. That's more than 11 years of ups and downs for you and for all who loved him. I can't imagine what it's like for you at this moment, 1dayatatime. But I'm thankful that you shared what you shared with us, and I hope that in the days and weeks to come that if you need us, you come to us.

God bless him, you, and all of those who loved him.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss.

How wonderful that you were able to remain best friends.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss and I will keep you and all who loved him in my prayers. I understand the feelings of "maybe if..." that you mention some loved ones are struggling with, but other than being a 24 hour a day guard (which would be horrible for everyone) , I don't believe there is anything that we can do to change the course if he was going to struggle and relapse. I hope in time, they work through the guilt and find peace.

I'm very glad that you understand that and that by letting him go as your husband, you both were able to find each other in a way you could not before. I hope you are comforted by knowing that he knew he was loved.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So, so sorry for this terrible loss for you and your family 1day. I hope you all can forgive yourselves and him. May you all heal completely and remember him with compassion.

Prayers for you all. Please take care of yourself as such times bring new challenges and vulnerabilities.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Heartfelt condolences for your loss. He sounds like he was a fighter and tried every way he knew how to outmaneuver a very clever and dangerous adversary. There is honor in that.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I'm sorry for your loss and glad you both found a way to reconcile and relate before the end. I bet that meant a lot to him.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart is with you.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My condolences, 1dayatatime. I'm so very sorry for your loss and grief.

I'm sending healing prayers for you and your family.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My eyes are welled with tears reading your post. My heart hurts for you because I know you will carry this with you forever. I'm in awe that you were able to separate yourself and your family to be safe and sane. I'm praying for you and your family. You are strong and resilient. Wishing you the most wonderful life
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss

Jennifer
Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending big hugs!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I know what it's like to lose loved ones to this. My heart goes out to you and I wish you peace.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. This is my number one fear. I admire how much you still cared for him and speak highly of him but also how you were able to take a step back and care for your own needs as well. May he rest peacefully knowing how deeply he was loved.