Vivitrol?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivitrol?

Anyone have any experiences or know of anyone who has ever received the vivitrol injection? My fiancé has appointments this week at the VA to consider it ... Which could be a blessing as I understand it could be up to 12000 a month for the injection. Luckily because he is a vet he can get it for free.... We do not know much about it. Thanks for any insight you may have!!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Research it online. We can't really give medical advice here. I can say that there is no meds to fix addiction. I went to a medical detox for 7 days where they gave me subutex for the first 4 days. I was sick for the first month after.

After that, I decided not to use meds because my support in NA didn't recommend it.

I'm sorry I don't know more.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Like Suboxone, Vivitrol is a great tool for those who are done and really want recovery. Do a search on it above and there are some good threads on it.

With that being said, there are 3 big considerations to keep in mind. First, if they want to get loaded, they risk overdosing by using more and more to try to break thru the Vivitrol. Second, some resort to sidewalk surgery and cut the implant out themselves which can lead to other health problems. And last, if they are injured and need pain medication...it will not work.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nelly,

My daughter (opiate pills and / or heroin) had one Vivitrol injection just before she left her first rehab back in 2014.

It is pricey, but not quite as pricey as you suggest, more along the lines of $1200. rather than $ 12,000. per month. DD had a "coupon" and we paid $900. -- insurance would not cover this drug.

She only had one injection, never went back for a second even though we encouraged her to do so.

Cynical One laid out the negatives pretty well .......although I do not know anything about any "implants"; DD had a straight forward injection which remained effective for one month.

The fact that your husband's doctor is willing to administer Vivitrol is a good sign. Due to the high risk of fatal overdosing, a reputable doctor will not administer Vivitrol to a patient that they consider less than "highly motivated" to stay clean.

Good luck to you and your husband!

Jim
Old 04-25-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for the typo, I meant 1,200! Sorry for the confusion I'm not asking for medical advice, we have already spoken with doctors I was simply wondering if anyone knew of any success/horror stories. It would not be the implant.... Just the monthly injection until he felt stable on his own and in his own recovery. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

a sample of how creative an alcoholic can be:

Pruno, or prison wine, is an alcoholic beverage variously made from apples, oranges, fruit cocktail, candy, ketchup, sugar, milk, and possibly other ingredients, including crumbled bread. Bread supposedly provides the yeast for the pruno to ferment. Pruno originated in (and remains largely confined to) prisons and jails, where it can be produced with the limited selection of equipment and ingredients available to inmates. The concoction can be made using only a plastic bag, hot running water, and a towel or sock to conceal the pulp during fermentation. The end result has been colorfully described as a "bile flavored wine-cooler",[1] although flavor is often not the primary objective. Depending on the time spent fermenting (always balanced against the risk of discovery by the officers), the sugar content, and the quality of the ingredients and preparation, pruno's alcohol content by volume can range from as low as 2% (equivalent to a very weak beer) to as high as 14% (equivalent to a strong wine).

vivitrol, subutex, antabuse....none of these will work unless the alcoholic truly WANTS to get sober.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My soon to be ex husband was on vivitrol for over 6 months (heroin addiction). He did not want to get clean, so he found creative ways to get high. First of all, you can still feel high apparently by the end of the month. Second of all, suboxone can be felt closer to the middle of the month and there is always crack! Ex started smoking crack like there is no tomorrow. As soon as he got off vivitrol he went back to using heroin.

He said that with vivitrol he still had cravings, but couldn't feel the opiate for several weeks. Like everyone said here - there is no chemical solution to this mental issue (addiction). I think if ex wanted to get clean, he would have used this tool, but he didn't
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My son did the shot for 7 months last year. He loved it, took away his cravings and he did well on it. He relapsed when he went off but did good when he was on it.