We are learning......Right???

Old 04-19-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We are learning......Right???

Son contacted his sister yesterday (after not hearing from him for almost 6 weeks) says he needs a place to stay and work. Daughter says she will talk with her husband and get back to him.

So, guess this is what "they" do.....go to rehab(court ordered) then to jail (probation violation) get out ........family doesn't hear from them till they need something.

We (his family) all in agreement we must stick to the terms of the intervention ( 1 year ago) tell him that we cannot help him till he does long term treatment program.

Last time I posted about our story here at this forum I felt that so many were judging because our son is old (42) but we did not realize that he actually had a drug addiction till about 2 years ago........

That is why I have not posted in awhile.......

I am sorry if I am not making any sense here tonight.....
Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is strength in numbers. It's great that you are sticking together. The age doesn't matter, he is still your son and the pain is as real as if he were 19.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Plink, my addicted son is in his 40's too so I don't judge you, I empathize because I have been where you are and I know the pain.

How fast the years passed, from about 25 to into his 40's, in and out of rehabs, some solid recovery (as long as 3 years once) then relapse...it has been a revolving door for my son and I finally had to let go. He has been missing now over 10 years, lost in his addiction somewhere. I begin my days with a prayer asking God to take care of him, and then I live my day embracing the beauty and knowing that I did everything I could and just don't have the power over anyone else or their addictions.

It sounds like your family stands together, and I hope that your courage and strength will be an example for him. I will keep your son in my prayers, and hope that he finds a better path soon.

Hugs from this mama's heart to yours.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No judgement here.

I think it's quite wise to stick to your boundaries. Sending you lots of hugs as I cannot imagine how hard it has to be when it's your child, regardless of age.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As the saying goes…………….

When we know better – we do better.

It’s great that all of you are in agreement to stick to the terms you set at the intervention. What are the terms? Will your daughter allow him to come stay with her?
Old 04-21-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No judgment here either.

Stay strong. Sending up prayers for you, your son, and the rest of the family.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The terms are we are to have no contact unless he finally tells us he is ready for long term treatment. No more 30 day here...court ordered crap!

It's been a long time coming and I am sure it's going to take a long time to fix if ever.....

I have been doing all the scenarios in my head when "they" call or show up at my door to tell me he has overdosed.

Last night was a horrible night.....didn't fall asleep till about 3:00.......prayers are all that we can do at this point in time.