Hi Everyone :)

Old 03-19-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone :)

Hey everyone

I am a recovering heroin addict and my fiancé is a heroin addict who is currently in prison for the time being so I am a recovering addict plus a loved one of an addict- I experience both sides which can be a plus or a huge crutch when I make excuses for my finance saying "I know how it is" and I tend to think behaviors are more normal then they really are since I used to live a bizarre dysfunctional life up until 7 months ago.

Looking back at all my past relationships since I was 14 years old, I have always been codependant and everyday I have to make an effort not to entangle my emotions and well being with my finance's moods and those around me.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Adeline .... Welcome to FFSA/SR
Congratulations on your sobriety. Many wishes for strength to stay the path.
Codependence is a very real affliction. And a life long battle to keep it in check every moment of every day.

May I ask if you were with your fiancé when you chose recovery ?

Hugs,
Joie
Old 03-20-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome, Adeline. We call people like you double winners...those in recovery for substance abuse AND codependency at the same time. We have several members here like that who have done very well at turning their lives around.

Take a good read around, especially the sticky posts at the top of the forum. Also, there is a wonderful book called Codependent No More by Melody Beattie that has helped many of us figure out how we got this way and how we can live healthier lives by making a few changes in our thinking.

I'm not sure how long your fiance is in prison for, but it is a good thing that you are taking care of your own addiction and issues right now, so that when he gets out you can decide on the healthiest path to follow.

Good luck to both of you in your sobriety.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, AdelineRose. Your post is hopeful! Wishing you strength to continue moving forward with recovery.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the welcome

Joie I started my road to recovery the day that he got arrested. I figured if I didn't step up and help myself now then I'll never do it. I see him every week, talk to him everyday, and write him letters but he is still in prison and will be out in about a year.

Ann, thank you for the recommendation on the book, I actually read it a couple months ago on the recommendation of my therapist and it was an amazing book. I just ordered the book called Boundaries by Henry Cloud (I think that is the author) have you read that one also?