So here we go... Therapy!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here we go... Therapy!

I have a therapist. I can't even believe I'm typing that. Dont know that I can actually say it out loud yet. I am in therapy. For some reason I just have such a hard time accepting that I need help, or that I dont have my s#$@ together. Here I was, in a therapists office, trying to seem like I have it all together. Its laughable, really. This is gonna be a journey for sure. I guess it's time to deal with reality. As my therapist asked, have I thought about the possible outcomes from our meetings. There is no going back once you lift the curtain, so to speak. I can olny become a stronger person from this all. Wish me luck.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There should not be a social stigma on therapy. I am a poster child for counseling, I believe everyone should have a therapist.

My children and I have had for a long time. She is a Godsend to all of us.

While therapy is hard, you have to dig deep, it's also a relief.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Turtle!

I have used a therapist several times in my life. Most recently it has been invaluable in learning to deal with my codependency, my family of origin, and my RAH. It also helped me process the steps. I found it an exhausting process but worth it.

Peace!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Starting therapy was the single best decision I've ever made in my entire life. I've been going for 3 years now, and I cannot even begin to express how much it has helped me. No shame! It takes a strong person to ask for help and do the work to heal. It's not easy, and sometimes it's not fun, but it is SO worth it!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you find the right therapist, it is one of the best gifts you can give yourself--growing and healing and getting the most out of the life we are each given--so I wish you all the best on your journey! I have been to many in my life and don't regret a single visit, even when the fit was weak, I still learned something important about myself. Dig in!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope it is a good experience for you Turtle. If this first one doesn't seem like a good fit try someone else.

For many, a therapist truly saves their lives.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone 🐢
Old 02-06-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It doesn't show weakness or failure to reach out to a therapist...it shows courage and wisdom and strength, and the desire to heal.

People who put down therapy are often those who are afraid to face their own demons...they are not ready...yet. You are doing something about your problems, what are they doing about their own?

Taking good care of ourselves, emotionally, physically and mentally is something that we all need to do. I know, for me, I spent too much time worrying about my son's health to take care of my own...and I paid for that dearly.

So good for you! You have taken a big step in your recovery and turned a corner of self-care being a priority.

Hugs
Old 02-06-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The therapist I saw in grad school saved my life. I was newly divorced, clinically depressed, and in a tough school program in a new city. I still hear her calm, sane voice in my head.

It can take a while to find a good fit, but it can be life changing.

Good for you!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck! I think going to therapy is brave.
I don't always know what the best decision is regarding my own codependent behavior but my therapist keeps me in check. It's also nice to have a safe place to share everything you're feeling.

Wishing you a great outcome in this big step!