Missing persons report OR NOT? HELP

Old 12-15-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Missing persons report OR NOT? HELP

Hi, Im new here...and worried sick. I am a recovering addict myself and my brother has been MIA since last Friday. He stole 50$ from my mom, she called him once she realized it and he told her he was going to go put every bit of the dope in a needle and try to kill himself. He has made these empty threats in the past..and never has truly tried. But, Im getting worried, its cold as **** here and he has nowhere to go. I would think he wouldnt make it this long without trying to come home. So now Im worried sick!!! Not to mention, our father killed himself this same exact way 20 years ago. Mom kicked him out, and he went and killed himself hours later...
What to do??
Old 12-15-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Jess...

Welcome to the Board. I'm glad you found us and took the step to post, and I'm also very sorry for what has brought you here.

I don't have any experience with people going missing. But with that said, if he hasn't been home and/or no one has been in touch with him for 4 days, that is cause for alarm by my standards.

I would also gently caution you to not go too far down the rabbit hole of trying to help your brother. Not that you need to be reminded, but you have a vulnerability. Recovery isn't easy, but it is easy to fall by the wayside.

So, my vote's for doing the minimum to ascertain your brother's whereabouts, and then gently detach for your own good.

Please keep us posted, and know we're in your corner.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would file a report for you and your families peace of mind.

Then, when he contacts you...let him know NOT to contact you with drama. If he needs help getting to a rehab-offer. Have some free rehab/help lined up in case he bites.

Otherwise, lovingly detach is the way to go. You have to step off the roller coaster or you will get sick yourself.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. We have experienced this with my beloved younger brother a number of times. There isn't much you can do at all, except maybe calling 911 and filing a missing person report or "suicide prevention" call, whatever it might be called in your area.

Big hugs to you. Keep coming back for support if you need it!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to your local police station and tell them you want to report an “endangered missing person” then tell them about his drug history and threat to your mother about committing suicide.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

jessw, how are you doing? Has your brother shown up? We're thinking about you