Just when I had started to adapt...

Old 12-07-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just when I had started to adapt...

Started to think- hey! This might all work out.

I'm leaving my addict spouse who's put our lives in danger. I have documentation of him endangering my children! I have documentation that he is a liar, a perpetual addict. A documented "crazy person", as my attorney puts it- not nice, I know- but he's 100% disabled with PTSD, and for good reason.

Well, then I come across info on the net- veteran's disability is for the veteran only. Unless you've been married for 20 years, you get nothing!

But he gets social security, too-

Well, social security is for the disabled person, only. Unless you've been married at least 10 years you get nothing!

Good, grief- did my attorney look into this at all?

So, sure- he'll have to pay child support. But that will hardly amount to anything.

I really thought I was going to be able to continue my schooling. I'm in college to become a registered dietitian. But it looks like I'll be working some dead-end job for the rest of my life instead. My kids will be in day care, I'll be working. And for all I know, they'll probably be spending half the time alone with my ex- who I left so that they could be SAFE FROM HIM.

Well, they really don't tell you all this, do they? All the people who tell you to leave, that life will be better. Life's going to suck!

And, yes, none of this matters. He put my kids' lives in danger. You can't put a price on their safety. It might just turn out that he gets only supervised visitation, as I've requested. But if he doesn't? What a waste!

I'm terrified of what's to come!
Old 12-08-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am sorry you are going through such a sad and scary time, trying to raise children alone and support the family is hard but I really hope you will find a way to continue your dietition course, even if it means taking fewer courses over a longer period of time.

Bless you for putting the best for your children first. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 12-08-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps your state has some sort of spousal support (even if limited). You may not have legal rights to his disability but perhaps some other avenue of support?

Hang in there....staying with an active addict is an energy zapper to the max! Once you have an gained peace, it's amazing how much you will soar. The energy for constructive pursuits instead of the drama of an addict!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Txhelp View Post
Once you have an gained peace, it's amazing how much you will soar. The energy for constructive pursuits instead of the drama of an addict!
Good message and one to keep in mind.

I wish for strength, comfort and peace for you and your children. I am sorry for what you're experiencing.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm fairly certain that you will receive a portion of his SS and his disability (child support rates). Anything else would be in the form of alimony if that applies to your situation.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And now my attorney "forgot" to file my response to his counter restraining order. Yes, my addict husband filed a counter restraining order against me, a 110 lb female. He made all sorts of bogus allegations, many of which actually opened up avenues for me to tell what was really going on. My response would have vindicated me, I'm certain!

The waiting room was full of his family and friends- almost all of them enablers who either supported or contributed to his drug use. For the past year or so I have avoided them all like the plague- when they came over, I went to my room. When they had events, I said I had schoolwork to do. But now I think they'll be testifying that he was the active parent. This is not the case! But how can I prove this, especially with this inept attorney?

Also, he's blown through my account. I am the only authorized user on it, but he took every last dime. My bank says he must have somehow obtained a debit card, but it would have to have my name on it, so nobody should be allowing him to use it. I tried to file a police report, but they said this is an iffy subject- that we're still technically married. I can't imagine this sheriff was correct- this is my account, and the restraining order shows that I'm living 4 hours away from where it's being used.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sounds like its time for a new attorney. this one isn't cutting it FOR YOU. there are only 1.5 million of them waiting in line to be of service.