New Substance In The Mix? Mimics Alcohol Buzz

Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Substance In The Mix? Mimics Alcohol Buzz

The addict/alkie showed up seeming sedated/buzzed but couldn't smell alcohol on his breath and yet at the same time was still in a state of agitation from steroid use. I've seen him after alcohol & pot and words are slurred but they weren't this time. He's also more or less admitted to cocaine use in the past. Could he be using a prescription drug?
Old 10-11-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

for many cocaine brings them 'up', but for my ABF it was truth serum. He would become docile, kind, calm, and oddly wonderful.

what makes you suspect that it's prescription vs. street drug ?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JOIE12 View Post
for many cocaine brings them 'up', but for my ABF it was truth serum. He would become docile, kind, calm, and oddly wonderful.

what makes you suspect that it's prescription vs. street drug ?
It's a Jekyll & Hyde personality change from being ornery & miserable to nasty, angry & bitter yet sedated at the same time. A mean drunk I guess you would call it.

Also noticed he was taking a legal supplement called st johns wart which some use for depression. He might be taking it for an upper since he's always looking for a quick fix or short cut. He also talks about others use/abuse of pills & prescriptions mostly to deflect from him but that means he has some knowledge or sources.

He has become more resentful than usual wondering why many haven't been more aggressive & enthusiastic to help him which means more money and unconditional use of their stuff.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you really have a finger on the pulse of your A. I'm sorry that you are in this mess. I can say that I don't miss this part. Watching, worrying, monitoring, managing .... it was exhausting. Made me doubt my decisions and my life, which was a good thing.

Are you involved and staying with him ?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Because of varying family ties we're stuck. Between substances and attitude I don't how he's lasted this long hitting a bottom. He is also wearing out his welcome with those who supported him or didn't believe he had issues/ problem at first.

Pardon my language but that pos has been has dropping hints that he is basically waiting for family related inheritance at this point saying things like people should do more renovations on their homes, take the old relatives off the road and drive for them(guess who should get their car), if they did this there will be less problems for the estate down the road etc. Yet currently cries about lack of money but refuses to work the lower paying jobs.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Another newer behavior or sign. He is real snappy and his mind seems to be racing constantly talking or thinking out loud. It's extremely difficult to have a conversation with him because he talks so fast along with 'being right' all the time. He also has become much move overt and aggressive stating what he wants or feels. His fast snappy talking borders temper tantrum the entire conversation if you can call it that.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At this point in time does it really matter WHAT drug he may be taking. You knowing WHAT drug isn’t going to change your situation or his behavior.

What have you been doing for your own recovery? Have you been going to any support meetings? Counseling?
Old 10-17-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
At this point in time does it really matter WHAT drug he may be taking. You knowing WHAT drug isn’t going to change your situation or his behavior.

What have you been doing for your own recovery? Have you been going to any support meetings? Counseling?
I'll be honest, not yet. But finally the rest of family is realizing there is a problem and it's easier to talk to others. Right now everyone has enough on their plate including defense against the alkie/addict. He's talking too legal & precise along boasting of attorney friends. Along with the sneakyness and lies of a child reading a book under the blanket after lights out sneaky.

But for what it's worth It seems through his own admissions we might have been dropped a clue about what other drugs he is doing-adderall. Adderall like steroids have been used by some of his sports heroes including those caught up in steroid scandals. I always heard it had a stimulant effect on adults and might account for his racing mind and fast talking.

What adderall does to the adult mind is another thing.