Newbie to board - step parent of active Meth user

Old 09-28-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie to board - step parent of active Meth user

Hi all,
I am currently allowing my adult step daughter to detox off meth in my home. Not sure we are going to make it so thought I would come here for support. At the moment, she is visiting outpatient rehabs with Dad and I am hoping with all my heart, they can reach her. This drug is insidious and has destroyed her in the few months she has been using. She is a beautiful, smart and extremely likeable young lady who can beat this if she starts to fight for herself.

Thanks for listening!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My adult son is an addict who has been struggling with addiction for about 20 years, so my heart goes out for you and your family.

It is hard to not try to manage our addicted loved one's recovery, and I pray that guiding her to where help is, good outpatient care in her case, is enough. Often it takes many tries to get on a solid recovery path, some do it quickly some never can manage to stay there, but I pray that your step daughter is a quick learner and wants sobriety more than her drug.

Take a read around, especially the sticky posts at the top, and you will find a lot of information and stories that may help you deal with all this.

Meetings also helped many of us find our balance, I know that they were the biggest resource I had and they gave me courage to face the days ahead.

I'm glad you joined us.

Hugs
Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maur,

Welcome to the forums. You have found a good spot for yourself to find some support.

Like Ann said, sorry to hear that your step daughter is struggling. Hopefully she is "ready" to learn to use the tools she will be offered at the rehabs; if she is ready she will be fine, but she needs to want recovery for herself.

I know it is very hard to resist trying to manage your step daughter's recovery - just accept that you can't - it is all up to her.

When my daughter was in rehab for heroin addiction I kept hearing the term "recovery community" and it took me a long time to fully understand that term. The recovery community is a huge, mostly invisible group of people - other addicts both in recovery and not, friends, family members, doctors, counselors, rehab workers - know that they are all pulling and praying for your addict's sucessful recovery - a huge cheering section when they succeed and there to encourage and prod them on if they fail.

My RADD has told me the nicest thing she could hear in recovery, especially in early recovery, was "I love you." and I'm proud of you."

This forum is another piece of the recovery community - welcome aboard.

Thanks for sharing and keep coming back,
Jim
Old 09-28-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A little more on the recovery community, the spirit of Nar-Anon and this board.

My Nar-Anon homegroup has a "Welcome card" which we give to newcomers. Printed inside are some song lyrics which I think capture the true essence of Nar-Anon.

" We're glad you're here,
'cause we've been there,
and it's hard to find someone
who understands enough to care.

Put down your pain, cast out your fears,

We've all been there,
and we're glad you're here. "

Jim