Sex drive of recovering addicts

Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by selpats View Post
Hi guys, thanks for your response. Our relationship is going really great besides the sex. We enjoy spending time with each other, and have mutual respect for one another. I am happy with him, and his low sex drive at the moment doesn't change that, but it does get frustrating.

As far as our ages go, he is 25 and I am 22.

What are the side effects of meth and heroin recovery to a person's libido? I know how many addicts suffer a loss in sex drive during recovery, but his sex drive has been normal through his whole recovery (1 year, which I know isn't long) up until now. I can't tell if it's recovery, stress or both. I want to know how I can help him get through it. I know he doesn't like to talk about it because I think it embarrasses him, but I want him to know there's no reason to be embarrassed so we can work through it.
Wow, He is very lucky to have you in his life!
Old 10-05-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Wow, He is very lucky to have you in his life!
Everyone is so helpful on this site, but that really made me feel better! His low sex drive doesn't make me feel any less about him, but it's nice to hear someone say the same things he does! Makes me understand his point of view. When sex is involved, it's really easy to not believe him when he says it's not me! (Especially when men are involved!)
Thank you!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by selpats View Post

his sex drive has been normal through his whole recovery (1 year, which I know isn't long) up until now.
That would not sound to be normal. A doctor and or counselor visit would seem to be in order ?
MM
Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
This struck me as hilarious! Don't know if it was meant that way...
Well, yes and no. Usually when I share my experiences with people, I make an effort to put a humorous spin on them. It's part of my personality.

The message behind it, however, is deadly serious.

My AXGF is what as known is a Borderline Personality. When you convolve addiction issues with Borderline Personality Disorder, what you get is an incredibly sick person. Sex for my AXGF was/is not about love. It's about manipulation. It's about satisfying her needs. For her, it's not about two people sharing an intimate moment where you establish a deeper bond. For her, it's about getting into someone's head and establishing some sort of control. The fact that she's spectacular in the wrapper helps her do just that.

When you get to my age (and yes, I realize I sound like an old f*ck, but I'm not), there are other things that are more important than whether or not the orgasm you experience with another person is off-the-charts fantastic. Like whether your moral compass is in phase with that person. Or whether you can support each other through the day-to-day tribulations of adult life. Because someone in active addiction isn't capable of that. Nor is someone who is abstaining but not working any program.