The Standard American Diet and Drug Abuse

Old 08-24-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Standard American Diet and Drug Abuse

My addictions began with sugar when I was a child, probably around age 8. I progressed to alcohol, then marijuana, lsd, x, coke, ketamine over time. Looking back, I am sure that my brain sought the pleasures of sugar highs, but a tolerance developed, hence the progression to other substances. It is said that the United States has an insatiable appetite for drugs. I would add that it has an insatiable appetite for sugar, as well.

The relationship between opioid and sugar intake: Review of evidence and clinical applications

Just saying that I believe one of the fundamental factors in the alcohol and substance abusing culture is the Standard American Diet. We know that it causes diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, etc., but I think it is high time (pun possibly intended) that the medical community include alcohol and drug addiction in the repertoire of biologically and partially nutritionally based diseases that need treatment.

Small steps towards this paradigm shift can be seen in the popularity of books such as CLEAN and media attention to what prosecutors and corrections officials are beginning to acknowledge as a mental health and medical issue rather than primarily a "criminal" issue.

Most Prisoners Are Mentally Ill - The Atlantic

Incarceration nation
Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

P.S. We could learn a lot from our cousins overseas as the system in the United Kingdom focuses on rehabilitation and, therefore, treats its prisoners:

"For people with antisocial personality disorder, including those with substance misuse problems, in community and mental health services, consider offering group-based cognitive and behavioural interventions, in order to address problems such as impulsivity, interpersonal difficulties and antisocial behaviour."

INTERVENTIONS FOR PEOPLE WITH ANTISOCIAL PERSONALITY DISORDER AND ASSOCIATED SYMPTOMS AND BEHAVIOURS - Antisocial Personality Disorder - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health