I feel responsible

Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel responsible

I'm new to this so here we go. My parents are alcoholics. I have raised my sisters since 9 years old. My parents use to be gone for weeks at a time, no food, cps showing up constantly. Now my 2 sisters are both heroin addicts (IV). One is 23, the other is 7 months pregnant at 18
I know its not my fault, but I still feel responsible for them. I don't know how to let go, I have 3 beautiful little girls now that I have a hard time focusing on because of the madness that surrounds me. I'm currently in counseling for anxiety and panic attacks..

What do I do??
Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi sister, you're one of life's unheralded heroes and an amazing person.

For the sake of your family and yourself, you may have to work on letting go of your adult siblings. When I say that I don't mean never see them again, but also consciously not rescue them or do anything for them they can do for themselves. I hope your therapy helps you with this.

Do you have a way to relax, like time out with the kids doing fun stuff?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I try. I have a6yr, 4yr,and 8month old all girls...its hard to not want to clean its my release. I started taking them to swim lessons recently, and I work only four days a week so I have more time with them...just hard
Old 07-07-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a difficult situation, Sister3. Have you ever been to an Al-Anon or Nar-Anon meeting? It could be a great support system for you and may help you detach with love from the intensity of your sisters' addictions. I have also found that talk therapy works wonders, too, if you find the right person. Take care, and keep us posted. We are here for you.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My counselor suggested that too, al-anon. Going to try it before I see him again
Old 07-07-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sister3 View Post
I try. I have a6yr, 4yr,and 8month old all girls...its hard to not want to clean its my release.
Can you give me some of that cleaning urge sis? It can be as simple as taking them for a walk, or having some fun running around with the 8 mo.
I used to carry my baby out front and zoom right him up to the toddler. Laughs all round and so good for my fitness, lol.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sister3 just checking in to see how you are? Thinking about you.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm ok, I was able to say know when one of them asked for money. Which is huge step for me. Problem is she texted later that day that she had to pan handle and prostitute...so then I felt terrible....im thinking about blogging, I use to write poetry as an outlet...trying anything I can 😊
Old 07-13-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sister3 View Post
Problem is she texted later that day that she had to pan handle and prostitute...so then I felt terrible....😊
Expect her to push your buttons in the best way she knows how. It's hard, but hopefully she'll seek help if she gets desperate enough. If you feel like giving her money, remember what she'll be spending it on.