Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

I feel I have no right to complain about his addiction cause it's not that bad

Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He only smokes weed, is not violent and great with our kids (when he is not spaced out)...reading about what others have been through my situation is very mild. I feel like I have no right to complain, I feel like I need to just suck it up and get over it...I feel like sharing people are prolly like, oh come on sista, let me tell about "real" problems. I'm beginning to feel silly and stupid for even trying to get help with all of this. I think id rather just go to bed and forget any of this happened....
Old 06-13-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Justloveme88 View Post
He only smokes weed, is not violent and great with our kids (when he is not spaced out)...reading about what others have been through my situation is very mild. I feel like I have no right to complain, I feel like I need to just suck it up and get over it...I feel like sharing people are prolly like, oh come on sista, let me tell about "real" problems. I'm beginning to feel silly and stupid for even trying to get help with all of this. I think id rather just go to bed and forget any of this happened....
OK. So you go to bed. You do your best to forget any of this has ever happened.

But what do you think the unintended consequences of that decision would be?

Of many possible ones, here's one. He observes that no matter what he does and how he does it, you're simply going to ignore it. Which will embolden him. Your marriage will cease being the partnership you signed up for. Instead, you'll have one party doing what he wants without giving a damn what the other one thinks.

Could I be wrong about any of this? Of course.

You were in a bad enough place to seek us out. You were in a bad enough place to post. Maybe instead of "going to bed", it's time that you consider what is best for you.

Food for thought on a Saturday night.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your right of course. That is really the reason i've looked for help. Our marriage is really more of a partnership in raising kids. I dont know how it is for him, but for me the spark is gone and I'm really no longer attracted to him. He's distant, and emotionally closed off, we barely laugh together. But as long as I tread lightly and don't disapprove of him or his actions we don't fight and if I ignore all of what I don't like, it's a peaceful home. And that is good for my kids, to live in a home that is peaceful. And what love lacks in the marriage, I sure make up for it 10 fold for my girls. They are surely loved and they know it. We keep a good front for the girls though. Marriage is hard even in a home without addiction, and I guess I feel like you have to overlook some if a partners flaws, cause we all have them. I don't know, maybe my brain has been so twisted over the years that I don't even know what is up or down.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kids are more sensitive and knowing than adults think.

Is your emotionally closed-off"partnership" with an addict the role model you want your daughters to think is normal when they are old enough to date?

You can both be loving co-parents apart, and I suggest that perhaps your life is worth more than sticking it out for the kids when you are lonely and unfulfilled.

What happens in 1, 5, 10 years as his addiction progresses, because it will?
Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My mom was a heavy daily marijuana smoker when I was growing up. I understand what you mean about the emotional distance. It numbs people, they isolate themselves to get high and when they do interact with others it's almost like they're on another plane of existence.
People don't always think of weed as being addictive, but your husband is behaving like an addict- the anger and defensiveness, all to protect his smoking. I believe my mom was addicted. I remember those times when she couldn't get any pot for awhile, and how she would rage at us over nothing. All of her friends smoked. That was really all they had in common.
"Not that bad" is relative. That kind of minimizing was something I always did in unhappy situations. No, my life is "not that bad" compared to child soldiers in Sierra Leone, or concentration camp survivors, but that was never the point, and all that kind of thinking did was fuel my denial and minimization (which is great for the disease of alcoholism or addiction, because they flourish in those conditions). But it was terrible for me and for my sons. And I have to say, once I got away from "not that bad" and was living in an alcoholism and addiction-free space, I started to realize how bad it had actually been, and that the addicts and alcoholics were usually the main ones telling me it wasn't that bad, or that I didn't have anything to complain about.
It's bad enough for you to want something different and better for yourself. You are important here. Have you checked into any other resources for family members of addicts? SR is a great place, and you could also attend Alanon or Naranon meetings. Would your pastor continue to counsel you individually?
Up to now, your purpose has been getting your husband to quit smoking. You've probably seen by now that it's not going to happen unless he really wants to. If you turn that energy onto healing yourself, you will get stronger and healthier, which will help you to set boundaries about what kind of behavior you will accept in your life and your children's lives.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
"And I have to say, once I got away from "not that bad" and was living in an alcoholism and addiction-free space, I started to realize how bad it had actually been.
Yes!!! In ways I didn't even realize.

There's something in one saying about how we get so used to the morsels of bread crumbs tossed our way that we forget what it's like to eat a big piece of warm bread with melted butter on it. We all deserve warm bread and butter.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
My mom was a heavy daily marijuana smoker when I was growing up. I understand what you mean about the emotional distance. It numbs people, they isolate themselves to get high and when they do interact with others it's almost like they're on another plane of existence.
People don't always think of weed as being addictive, but your husband is behaving like an addict- the anger and defensiveness, all to protect his smoking. I believe my mom was addicted. I remember those times when she couldn't get any pot for awhile, and how she would rage at us over nothing. All of her friends smoked. That was really all they had in common.
"Not that bad" is relative. That kind of minimizing was something I always did in unhappy situations. No, my life is "not that bad" compared to child soldiers in Sierra Leone, or concentration camp survivors, but that was never the point, and all that kind of thinking did was fuel my denial and minimization (which is great for the disease of alcoholism or addiction, because they flourish in those conditions). But it was terrible for me and for my sons. And I have to say, once I got away from "not that bad" and was living in an alcoholism and addiction-free space, I started to realize how bad it had actually been, and that the addicts and alcoholics were usually the main ones telling me it wasn't that bad, or that I didn't have anything to complain about.
It's bad enough for you to want something different and better for yourself. You are important here. Have you checked into any other resources for family members of addicts? SR is a great place, and you could also attend Alanon or Naranon meetings. Would your pastor continue to counsel you individually?
Up to now, your purpose has been getting your husband to quit smoking. You've probably seen by now that it's not going to happen unless he really wants to. If you turn that energy onto healing yourself, you will get stronger and healthier, which will help you to set boundaries about what kind of behavior you will accept in your life and your children's lives.
Thank you for your response. Yes I am already doing my best to work through the al-anon steps on my own. I'm in the process of finding a group that will work for me. I am fortunate there are many options for me in my area so it's a matter of patience and just going to each different group until I find one that works for me. I have certainly changed my focus from him and his problems to ME and my feelings and problems and I have already felt a bit of the anxiety lift. As far as leaving him, I dont feel that it is the time yet. The fact that he has a problem has really only just recently came to light. I think he's has a problem for awhile but I was in denial and I didn't realize really what was going on. Our pastor at church asked him to stop and I think he genuinely thought it would be no biggie but he's now in the place where he can't. And I do have hope that he will stop eventually, he admitted to a close friend that "maybe I do have a problem" So the wheels are turning, but it's a matter of patience on my part. Me leaving is also more complicated for us because my oldest it's really my step daughter, so I have no legal right to remove her from her father and I will not leave her to live with an addict on her own. I married her father when she was 2 and her bio mother disappeared when she was one and I can't put her through "losing" another Mom. That is one of the reasons it's so important for me to figure out how to deal with this until he gets help. As far as my pastor goes, as much as I'd love to go to him that would require me to tell him my husband is still smoking, and I'm not emotionally ready for that. There would be a lot of backlash involved, I need to get stronger, and more stable in myself. As I'm writing this I've realized some things I haven't before about my situation and it is actually really helping me understand a bit more what my next step is. Thank you again for your response, your ideas and questions got me thinking of things I haven't before.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Justloveme88 View Post
Your right of course. That is really the reason i've looked for help. Our marriage is really more of a partnership in raising kids. I dont know how it is for him, but for me the spark is gone and I'm really no longer attracted to him. He's distant, and emotionally closed off, we barely laugh together. But as long as I tread lightly and don't disapprove of him or his actions we don't fight and if I ignore all of what I don't like, it's a peaceful home. And that is good for my kids, to live in a home that is peaceful. And what love lacks in the marriage, I sure make up for it 10 fold for my girls. They are surely loved and they know it. We keep a good front for the girls though. Marriage is hard even in a home without addiction, and I guess I feel like you have to overlook some if a partners flaws, cause we all have them. I don't know, maybe my brain has been so twisted over the years that I don't even know what is up or down.
Well, I suppose it's easy to conflate "flaws" with addiction. I don't happen to agree with that, though.

Yes, we all have flaws. It's part of our imperfect existence in this life. But addiction is somewhere down the line beyond a simple flaw in someone's makeup.

Whatever flaws you may personally have simply do not compare in magnitude to the manifest carnage of drug addiction. Addiction is really a feedback loop gone amok. It's self sustaining, it's unstable, and it tends to take out those in proximity to it. All the proof you need is contained herein. We have mothers of addicted children. We have current and former wives of addicted husbands. We have girlfriends of addicted men. All share the same misery.

We're (usually) not couples counselors here, and in your case, there are issues that go beyond the purview we have at SR. So I can't really tell you what to do about your marriage. But what I will tell you is you need to be honest with yourself. That is often difficult. You have to ask yourself what it is you and your children need going forward, and there's little to no margin or room for bullsh!t.

If you can be honest with yourself, then that sets you on the path so that you can make the best decisions possible.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

...it's not that bad...

An illegal habit in most states that costs money, time and effort that could be going elsewhere isn't that bad?

Setting aside more and more studies are showing problems with pot addiction how about NOT great with kids when spaced out? This is supposed to be an adult parent to supposed to be able to take care of himself and family.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it's not that bad ? .... this is what every addict wants us to believe.

no drugs, no alcohol - simple
if your children were smoking pot - would that be okay too ?