SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   OT: Personal News/Probable Absence from FFSA (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/368725-ot-personal-news-probable-absence-ffsa.html)

zoso77 06-02-2015 04:22 PM

OT: Personal News/Probable Absence from FFSA

After the last big storm that hit Massachusetts' Merrimack Valley, I reinjured by right elbow while snow raking my roof and removing ice from my driveway. After physical therapy failed to provide me relief from the pain, I got a MRI done last month. It revealed I have a tear in my extensor tendon near my right elbow, plus a lot of fluid and scar tissue. I am scheduled to have out-patient surgery on June 26th to repair the tear and to clean up around the area.

This means I'll be going on medical leave of absence for about 4 weeks because I'll be unable to drive to work and type. That's because I'll be in a hard right angle cast for 4 weeks.

I'm a little depressed about this. Summer's my favorite time of year because I like to golf and be active outside in general. But I won't be able to play at all this year. What's worse is I won't be able to play guitar until late September at the earliest. It also means that I have to rely on other people to do things for me (laundry, driving me places, etc.) and I hate that.

But it is what it is, and over the next 3 weeks, I'll be preparing for my surgery by getting as much done as I can at work and at home.

My presence here at FFSA will be close to non-existent since I won't be able to type and I'm not interested in purchasing voice recognition software. I'm sure my friends in green will pick up the slack in my absence.

Hope you're all well.

cynical one 06-02-2015 05:05 PM

Wishing you a speedy recovery zoso.

Dee74 06-02-2015 05:31 PM

all the best Zoso :)
D

least 06-02-2015 05:34 PM

:hug: You will be missed. :hug: Hoping for a speedy recovery. :)

mnh1982 06-02-2015 05:35 PM

Be well, Zo. Catch you on the flip.

JOIE12 06-02-2015 05:57 PM

zoso ... i'm sorry. this type of thing has happened to me before. lost whole seasons .. it's tough when we don't have much great weather here in new york. i hope you manage with the time that you have and i'm sure with your drive and ambition - you will be swinging again soon ! I'm sorry that you are going thru this, damn snow :( and will keep you in prayer. best of luck to you and a speedy recovery !

Ilovemysonjj 06-02-2015 08:23 PM

Thank you for your undying support, hope, experience, strength! See you soon and sending prayers for your prompt healing and back to normal life!
Love
TT

greeteachday 06-02-2015 08:48 PM

I would have hoped, Zoso, that you'd be spending the pre-surgery time practicing toe typing, or nose typing. Geeeeeez. :lmao

Seriously, I know it is a huge loss to not have your guitar and your golf...I'd be pretty upset about losing the summer too. But I guess the good side it that hopefully you will be able to relax a bit in the sun, listen to some excellent music and practice slowing down the pace a bit.

Prayers and good thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery! (and no repeat of the past winter in 2016!)

Vale 06-03-2015 12:17 AM

You can put a pencil in your mouth and hunt and peck, can't you?!

You are a hell of a fine SR contributor-----so get well soon...

(and go find that pencil!)

Whitewingeddove 06-03-2015 05:19 AM

You will be missed for sure! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

cece1960 06-03-2015 06:09 AM

Speedy recovery Zoso!

atalose 06-03-2015 06:52 AM

Sorry to hear you need some tuning up and will be leaving us for a bit. I wish you all the best for a good tune up and speedy recovery so you get back to us ASAP.

Although I like Vale’s pencil idea!!!!

zoso77 06-03-2015 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by greeteachday (Post 5403384)
I would have hoped, Zoso, that you'd be spending the pre-surgery time practicing toe typing, or nose typing. Geeeeeez. :lmao

Seriously, I know it is a huge loss to not have your guitar and your golf...I'd be pretty upset about losing the summer too. But I guess the good side it that hopefully you will be able to relax a bit in the sun, listen to some excellent music and practice slowing down the pace a bit.

Prayers and good thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery! (and no repeat of the past winter in 2016!)

The one decision I've made is during my convalescence, I'm going to read more technical stuff. Usually when I get home from work, the last thing I want to think about is technical stuff. However, since I'm going to be "out of the game" for a while, I need to keep my brain sharp.

As far as music goes, I'm seeing Rush twice before my surgery -- once in Montreal, and then two nights later in Boston, and I can't wait.

Thank you for all your kind words and well wishes. You've got me for another 3 weeks, so until I go under the knife, I'll continue to do what I do. :)

Seren 06-03-2015 08:13 AM

You know....they make software now that will type what you speak....

:)

zoso77 06-03-2015 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Seren (Post 5403973)
You know....they make software now that will type what you speak....

:)

Oh, I know. The question is do I want to pay for it. I've got a trip to Canada coming up in the next couple of weeks, and then I've got a guitar coming in between July and September. Plus I was recently on vacation in Florida. So my discretionary income is a bit constrained at the moment.

hopeful4 06-03-2015 09:05 AM

Zoso...I hope that it's a success.

Last summer I was on crutches all summer from breaking my leg. It was a huge bummer. I get where you are coming from.

This greenie will do all I can!!!!

cece1960 06-03-2015 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=zoso77;5403925]As far as music goes, I'm seeing Rush twice before my surgery -- once in Montreal, and then two nights later in Boston, and I can't wait.QUOTE]

I love Rush! ( see sig quote lol)

zoso77 06-03-2015 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=cece1960;5404078]

Originally Posted by zoso77 (Post 5403925)
As far as music goes, I'm seeing Rush twice before my surgery -- once in Montreal, and then two nights later in Boston, and I can't wait.QUOTE]

I love Rush! ( see sig quote lol)

They're doing "Jacob's Ladder", "Xanadu", and "Lakeside Park" on this tour. But as a player, I'm especially excited to see Geddy and Alex strap on the doublenecks for "Xanadu".

And that's because I've got one.

http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/zo...tml?sort=3&o=0

AnvilheadII 06-03-2015 02:45 PM

What's worse is I won't be able to play guitar until late September at the earliest

can't you go all Jimmy Hendrix and use the other hand and your teeth???

your hiatus does not sound very fun Zoso. please take care.

Lily1918 06-03-2015 08:13 PM

Get well soon zoso!