SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   I want to fix my heart and stop the hurt! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/368242-i-want-fix-my-heart-stop-hurt.html)

beachygirl 05-27-2015 01:33 PM

I want to fix my heart and stop the hurt!

my ex Abf has resurfaced and declared that he wanted to go to rehab. He also parted ways with his addict girl pal (supposedly) . He has been so sweet and full of apologies, planning for the future, etc.

Except for one caveat...I ended up catching him in a flat out lie. I have never been outright lied to by a friend and am saddened. He was supposed to have gone to his mom's house on Monday to begin " his new life". AWOL ever since!

I am sick with myself that have been foolish enough to continue to trust anything that an addict says. When he opens his mouth I never know whether he is blowing smoke up my ass or telling the truth. I am too smart to put myself in a situation where I have to question where I stand with someone.

I am tired of crying and feeling so emotionally empty. I know I cannot solve this for him. I can only control my own destiny. I just want to feel normal again and I want to stop loving him...it sucks!

AnvilheadII 05-27-2015 03:18 PM

curious....did he stay at your place? did you feed him? let him get some sleep? wash his clothes? have sex?

sadly what for us is a reunion, is for them a Motel 6 flyby.........

noinsanity2423 05-27-2015 05:16 PM

Yeah. I feel the same way. I loved my ex alcoholic, drug addict, sex addict, verbally abusive fiancé. I wanted to believe she would get better, but she only hurt me more. I believed her every time she said sorry and wouldn't do it again. I heard so many promises.

One truth I've been taught is: If an addict's lips are moving, they are lying.

I had to realize that before I decided to just cut all communication. If she really wants to get better, she can mail a letter or contact my parents to let them know she genuinely wants to change her life. She has my mailing address.

zoso77 05-27-2015 06:24 PM

I am sick with myself that have been foolish enough to continue to trust anything that an addict says. When he opens his mouth I never know whether he is blowing smoke up my ass or telling the truth. I am too smart to put myself in a situation where I have to question where I stand with someone.
OK. You fell for it. You paid for it. It'll sting for a bit, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. Remember how that feels, that sting, that betrayal of your trust yet again...

...and then get off the dirt, brush yourself off, and don't give yourself permission to fall for it again.

He's an addict. This is what addicts do.

dandylion 05-27-2015 11:35 PM

Motel6 Flyby.......love it! Love it! loveit!

I want to remember that!

dandylion