What am I doing?

Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What am I doing?

Brief back story...friend of 5 yrs that is an addict and I crossed lines and became lovers. He returned to his home state, started using again and dumped me( to save me and our friendship), and took up with another homeless addict. This activity almost killed me as I don't understand and was crushed at his severing of the friendship.

Fast forward...he has been reaching out for help, go figure. Problem is, because he sounds so "normal" and all the tales I am being told are consistent I have been helping him. What it amounts to is ordering him a pizza, etc, as I am several states away.

He and his friend are supposed to be parting ways as she has gotten employment and he has asked his family to send him to rehab. His request of me is to keep being the friend I always have been and that I should have never doubted him. Come on folks...am I just being the biggest dumbass in history here? I know him and I know his heart and this was my concern when I first wrote a post, but, WTF!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would never refer to oneself as a big dumbass. Although I am feeling like a big dumbass myself right now. Noone knows the sincerity or feelings in your friends heart except for him. I am learning the hard way just how easily lies can slip off a tongue. You have to decide whether or not you are willing to take the pain, if in fact your friend is being deceitful or has altering motives for want the friendship back.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by beachygirl View Post
Brief back story...friend of 5 yrs that is an addict and I crossed lines and became lovers. He returned to his home state, started using again and dumped me( to save me and our friendship), and took up with another homeless addict. This activity almost killed me as I don't understand and was crushed at his severing of the friendship.

Fast forward...he has been reaching out for help, go figure. Problem is, because he sounds so "normal" and all the tales I am being told are consistent I have been helping him. What it amounts to is ordering him a pizza, etc, as I am several states away.

He and his friend are supposed to be parting ways as she has gotten employment and he has asked his family to send him to rehab. His request of me is to keep being the friend I always have been and that I should have never doubted him. Come on folks...am I just being the biggest dumbass in history here? I know him and I know his heart and this was my concern when I first wrote a post, but, WTF!
Well, what does your gut tell you?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My gut has always trusted him...always, but that first time happened, just a few months ago. His family is in the process of setting up an intervention for this weekend of which I will be the surprise out of town guest. I pray he will go and leave the chick to her own drug addled devices. He is NOT responsible for her.

What I have to do is make sure that I am willing to follow through on whatever boundaries I establish during the intervention. This is the area where I fail. Suggestions?