You Know Who You Are

Old 05-13-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You Know Who You Are

You know who you are

Never let the opinions of others define for you who you are or what you can or cannot do. For though other people may sometimes know you well, they can never know you completely.

You know who you are, and what is in your heart, and what you’re willing to do. No mere opinion from someone else has the power to hold you back.

Pay attention to what others say if you think it could be of use. Seek to understand and to make yourself understood as well as you possibly can. Yet always keep in mind that the person who knows most about you is you. You know what you can do, and you know why you’re doing it, even if no one else understands.

The hurtful, limiting comments say more about the people who make those comments than they say about you. Whatever they may say, you know who you are. Move on confidently forward with the best that you can be.

— Ralph Marston
Old 05-13-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

One of the wonderful gifts of recovery, for me, what to get to know "that stranger called me", to know who I am and what I stand for...and then to stand for it, even if I stand alone.

I used to stay in my shell because I was afraid people would not like me if I was the real person I am. And the truth is, sometimes they still don't. I have lost friends because I wasn't the person they wanted me to be or because they misunderstood what I stood for and all the explaining in the world would not change their mind.

The thing is, today I know that if I am the best person I know how to be, warts and all, I need not regret that I do not meet up to the expectations of anyone else. I meet mine, I do my best and I am a good friend and loyal to those who accept me for who I am.

When is the last time you sat down and gave thought to who you are and what you stand for? When did you give thought to what you want from life? And when did you make a plan to make your dreams come true?

I think we codies spend so much time trying to please others and meet with their approval that sometimes we lose sight of who we really are and what we approve of ourselves.

Give some thought to this today, you ARE good enough, you ARE worthy of love and respect. It comes from inside and self acceptance and not from anyone else. Give yourself a hug, and have another one from me. Know who you are and be willing to embrace the concept that being the best person you know how to be is more than enough for anyone.

Hugs
Old 05-14-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm a duck. Not an eagle.

I quack too much. I poop all over nice websites.
Sometimes people shoo me away with brooms when
my poop gets too deep. But this place is where the water
is. Nobody makes fun of me here for falling into the web of an
addict (long since departed)----for most of them did the
same thing. I cannot confide my feelings about this in the
real world, Those who are my peers would laugh at me----
and mine is not a world where chinks in your armor go
unnoticed (or unexploited)

So I come here. The water feels good on my duck butt.
Some people here like me-----and I annoy the poop out of
others......maybe it's just the way I waddle. But I am who I
am and at when you have been around the sun as many
times as this poult has-----you become aware that
this isn't likely to change as the shadows grow longer.

The lesson in this is that if an annoying, loud, poop
spreading nasty aquatic fowl can be OK with who he is...

-----what the hell is YOUR problem????
Old 05-14-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Vale View Post

The lesson in this is that if an annoying, loud, poop
spreading nasty aquatic fowl can be OK with who he is...

-----what the hell is YOUR problem????

Count me as one of those who love you just as you are, and your sense of humour too. You never fail to make me smile, that's a gift that not everyone has.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really needed this today! Someone from the past said some hurtful things about me and although my friends defended me, I've given them too much space in my head.

I know who I am today. Thank you Ann. Your post has made me feel so much better.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

vale...ditto ann!