My son the "Giant"

Old 05-02-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My son the "Giant"

The visit was excellent. JJ s back to "hulk mode" and his plans include staying at the ranch for extended time (yay!) and then some out placement program after his program ends. Apparently, people can stay up to on year at the ranch Hallelujah!. There is something very magical there, and when I go to see him and the other fella's all working on their recovery, I am so uplifted. I joked to one of the administrators that I wish I could go to the ranch and be the "team mom". LOL! I only stayed 30 minutes, and for that I am very proud of me! I was stressing that I didnt buy him candy or other stuff, but to be honest, I have to stop enabling even in the small things. He found a sponsor who graduated from the ranch 24 years ago as a 24 year old heroin addict, hep C positive. Now that same man is a successful general contractor and his story affected JJ so much, that after that speaker meeting, he told the man who he was: 25 year old heroin addict, homeless and hep C positive. He asked that man to be his sponsor and said he would do exactly what his sponsor told him to do so he could live the life that the sponsor has. Strangely wrapped gifts, right Ann? I have always known in my heart of hearts that JJ's recovery is not coming from me or his family. JJ will find recovery in the bosom of AA and the brothers in arms. I would recommend Freedom Ranch in Campo , CA to ANYONE who has a loved one (male) that needs a place to recover.
Hugs to my fellow Momma's and Papa's , today was a good day!
PS: I feel no need to check in with him again for the one hour drive there or back any time soon. He is FINE
Old 05-02-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Strangely wrapped gifts are perhaps the best gifts of all.

I am so glad your son connected with a sponsor/mentor who shares many of the same issues.

They say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I think jj is on the way to a much stronger recovery and life than you ever imagined.

Keeping him, and you, in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 05-03-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad for you and JJ. What a blessing!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. Its encouraging to say the least, to remind us that there is always hope!
my best wishes for continued recovery, and I am happy for you too, momma.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a great post to wake up to...great news. We can never do for them what they can and must do for themselves...we can drive them there, though!

Thanks & a big hug for you, TT!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing the hopeful news, Teresa! I'm glad you had a lovely visit!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So happy for you darling. A great day for you. Glad he was doing so well......love to you and JJ
Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that things are going well while you both work your own recoveries. It's not easy quitting dope, it's not easy stepping back to let a loved one find their own way to quitting dope and/or alcohol. You and JJ are doing it

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-03-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Damn that is good news!

We are ALL so very happy for JJ!