Psychosis or something else?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psychosis or something else?

My BF is trying to turn over a new leaf. I seen him for the first time for a little over a month. He has stopped taking drugs, but he is now going through something that scares me.

I know that he was using meth, and to the point that the last time I didn't see him, I didn't notice his teeth, but he now has rotting/thinning on the gum line of his upper mouth.
  • He is self harming to the point that he has cuts on his hands, arms, sides, face, legs, and stomach.
  • He told me that he has voices in his head that tells him to do things. Like to jump in front of cars or to just take something that doesn't belong to him.
  • He said that he wants to vandalise and burn things (and honestly he has never been a violent or aggressive person)
  • He is paranoid
  • When he hears an airplane, he jumps to the ground
  • He constantly thinks everyone is out to get him and take advantage of him.
  • He tore me up one side and down the other about my house being out of sorts.... even mentioning to me that I shouldn't drink diet soda, etc.. Never has he been this hateful to me.
  • He also is changing his mind about any decision from hour to hour.
  • He says that when I talk to him, he hears something totally different than what I say.
  • He is suicidal

I don't know if he's lost it or these are symptoms of coming off meth or what. He is scaring me, and I don't really know what to do.

He also asked me about Elavil, and what it was used for. I have some of this at my house for anxiety, but rarely take it. I told him what he was for, he took my bottle and kept it... then gave it back to me this morning (it was full). I think some people overdose on it? I don't think anyone uses it to get high.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
delete
Old 03-12-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Scratch that...if he's self harming, you could call the police and have them check in on him.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sometimes the damage done by drugs does NOT correct itself. his brain is damaged, his body is damaged, and he is a danger to himself AND others. i'd suggest you stay away from him and if you think he needs HELP, do as Zoso suggested and call the cops asking them to do a care call.

you are WAY out of your element here hon......i'm so sorry, but you must put your own safety first.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It happens and it happens using and when you have stopped. Will he get better in time, no one can answer that. In this state he is not only a danger to himself but could be to those around, including you. One thing you don’t mess with is someone who is hallucinating … and if the hallucinations on meth are as real as I know them to be I can’t imagine it being much different off.

And as anvil wrote you are way out of your element. And I will add YOU can not help him. Please call 911 if concerned or scared.

Stay safe.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get away from him and stay away.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That sounds a lot like bath salts behavior to me...but I dunno.

I too would call the police to do a well check if needed, and step away.

So sorry. XXX
Old 03-13-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you sure he is not still using meth? It can cause that type of behavior.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

From what I know it's has been meth... with prescription pills and pot. His teeth have started to decay on the top gum line.

He said he was off meth, pot and the pills, and I believe him on that. However, I think he is abusing alcohol now while coming off meth. I don't know if that's part of it?

He has a lot of people mad at him right now. He received a call at around midnight at my house the other night and was yelling at whoever was on the other end. I've never seen him so hateful. He was very short fused and insulting to me. Said I looked like a boy and might as well said I was wasting my life on my current job. Got on to me for drinking diet cokes and because I don't have money saved up... very nit picky for someone in their 30s, addicted to drugs, and doesn't have anything. I don't know if he was projecting, trying to level me or what. I never seen this side.

I've been around someone who was coming off meth several years ago who was a long time abuser. He was very paranoid and said very off the wall stuff, but never was he violent. He sent me a text the other day saying he was full of rage and wanted to blow torch something. Then said God didn't give him access to such tools for a reason. Any sudden noise sends him jumping out of his skin.. phone, game alerts, dog barks, etc..

The voices telling him to do things is something that really bothers me. He carried something out to the car for me and came back in... said that a voice told him to jump out into oncoming traffic.

He is staying with his parents now, so I think they will keep a watchful eye on him.

I wonder if he is schizophrenic or if it's the drugs. He told me yesterday that a hospital certified him crazy... but I don't know if that's true or not.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Lawrie,
As much as you may think you can help him or stand beside him, please understand what could happen to you at any moment. The man you knew may be gone already. Think about the people who love you and fear for your safety. It's tough saying goodbye but I believe it's safe to say that this is out of your league. His parents have put themselves in danger. I will say some prayers for you and surround him with prayers. Best wishes to you during this difficult time. We are here anytime to help you in any way that we can. Hugs for you. Joie
Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawrie View Post
I wonder if he is schizophrenic or if it's the drugs. He told me yesterday that a hospital certified him crazy... but I don't know if that's true or not.
Heck, before I stopped drinking I was about ready to commit myself to a mental hospital and I was a light weight compared to some people I know. I think to some extent anyone who abuses substances has underlying mental issues.

Meth addiction and the people who are involved in that scene are nothing to mess with. I would encourage you to really think this through as far as how involved you get.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It doesn’t matter at this point if he is using or not. It doesn’t matter if he has some mental illness or not. What matters is his behavior is unpredictable and violent. The nature of this beast. It is not safe to be around anyone in that condition. I really do think those who watch just don’t get it at all. Unless you have experienced how real the hallucinations and delusions can seem you probably won’t get why someone like me would say get away and stay away from him. It just isn’t safe, and it isn’t safe for his parents either. He really needs medical intervention, sadly it doesn’t look like anyone will be calling 911 to get him any. I am really so hands off the addict, but when someone is displaying such irrational/dangerous/insane/f*cked up behavior you need to make the call for not only your personal safety and the safety of strangers but for them too.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know exactly what your talking about. All the sign are there. He's using meth and is probably going through a drug psychosis. Don't believe anything he says and stay far away from him. People on those drugs are not in their right mind and can be involved in dangerous things. You're better than that and you don't need to deal with it. My boyfriend (ex now) has been on a meth binge for the last 2 weeks and his life has turned upside down. He's been roaming from crack house to crack hours smoking meth and heroine and continues to think that everyone is after him. He's recently found a little crack ***** that has been doing drugs with him. He's disappeared and will not talk to me or any of the people in his life that love him. I know you feel it is all scary and crazy BUT you do not deserve to be apart of any of it.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

.... you will let him go when the fear is greater than the love you have for him. Please let that knowledge guide you.

my thoughts are with you, I know it's a difficult thing to do.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The 2 hardest things in life are knowing when
to fight and knowing when it's time to
disengage (so as to be able to fight again
another day)
Old 03-15-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with Vale. This is a dangerous situation and there is not one single thing you can do to defuse it, except to call the police so they can contact people who can.

He needs professional help, until he gets it he will continue to be a danger to himself and others.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I haven't heard anything from him for a couple of days. He tried to call, but I was outside. I tried to call back without an answer. I'm not sure if he's improved or not.

His parents are not the coddling/codependent type. If he was not behaving in a semi decent way, they would toss him out or try to have him placed in some sort of care. It's just if he's hiding it from them or not that I don't know.

I couldn't believe some of the things he admitted to me, and I couldn't even sleep while he was at my house. My mind started wondering all the possible scenarios.

I hope he gets better, but I'm afraid he might be too far gone. I'm just trying to focus on improving my life. I'm trying to put all of my energy into going back to school. Thanks everyone. I will update if I hear anything.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thinking of you lawrie. Please be safe.
JOIE
Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you're trying to focus on your life, stop calling him back. Period. This man has nothing to offer you but drama, danger and heartache.