Best Place to Start

Old 02-12-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lightbulb Best Place to Start

Best place to start

Where is the best place to start, when you’re determined to make real improvements in your life? Where is the best place to start, when you’re totally committed to following your dream?

The best place to start is precisely where you are. The best time to start is the moment you are in.

As difficult and challenging as your situation may be, in that situation is a way to move forward. From where you are right now, there is a path that leads to precisely where you would like to be.

Don’t waste your time wishing for a more favorable starting point. Instead, make use of the starting point you have, and get going.

Rather than complaining about not having enough, use your creativity and imagination to become more and more effective with what you do have. Devote your energy to creating new value in the present, not to resentment of the past.

This is the best place to start, because this is the place from which you can start right now. From here you can literally go anywhere, so go ahead, take that first step and don’t look back.

— Ralph Marston
Old 02-12-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I like this reading today because it reminds me that today can be "the day" of change.

Today can be the day that I find a meeting and make up my mind to go.

Today can be the day that I decide to not engage in quarrelsome behaviour and just find my own peace.

Today can be the day that I say "enough" and make a commitment to myself to take action to change.

Every day is like New Year's, when we can make our list of how we would like our future to unfold...and then take the "action" to make it so.

Yes, the best place is here and the best time is now.

Good morning, today may be the day of change for anyone who really wants it. Embrace the beauty in that.

Hugs
Old 02-12-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann--beautiful post...have an interview today and did not wash hair until this am (no hair dryer)--so was not starting out well...tired from other interviews since last Thursday. I am going to be brushing it dry and just praying myself into doing what I need to do...showing up. I am grateful for the interviews...and I am grateful that it is sunny today in CA. I am grateful that my wrist cast is off and I have started hand therapy. So many things that have happened since I first came back here in September...and I am on the path. I can do today...I can do my recovery...and I can let God handle all that I don't know what to do about or handle...just giving my best. I am grateful that I have been able to cry over the past several weeks...crying does not come easy to me...but I have been able to do that. God Bless you and all here on SR recovery today.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

God is walking with you and all you have to do us show up and allow yourself to be led. Crossing my fingers for you Irisgardens.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

iris, there were too many time when I'd have allowed dirty hair etc to dictate my day. But not any more!!! Today, I'm headed back to my former 'home' in another state, and I'm buying my grandparents house.

When they passed on my dad inherited it, but he died without a will and it's been in probate ever since '05. 10 years!!! When his wife passed on last year the court took over and, since dividing it between 5 adult children was impossible, I asked for and was given the opportunity to buy it.

I made this happen. I didn't wait or look at the obstacle$. Tomorrow morning at 9am my dad's estate will finally be settled and I made it happen.

I've taken the first steps and I'm not looking back

Best wishes to you iris!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Chino, that's a wonderful thing you did. You will make that house your home but the good memories of your grandparents will warm the rooms and keep you safe. I just love your story, you saw an opportunity to do something good, for yourelf and your family, and you did it. Happy housewarming.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Chino...and I am so glad to hear your news...and that you are doing it.

Didn't let the dirty hair hold me back...interview did get cancelled...but I looked good...you know like those really old hair spray commercials...the past few days have been tough...apparently I got over-tired and learned from 4 places in one day (Thursday--yep that same day) that I did not get the job or was 'not a good fit'.

Still persevered and got some job skill write-ups done...and other things on the list...on Friday...yesterday and today went down for the count...but reached out to naranon sponsor who is helping me.

Have been crying non-stop which hopefully is due to the exhaustion of so many interviews, the rapid and numerous rejections in one day, and other stuff that is still going on.

It is good to have a naranon sponsor...she helped me understand the reason for the exhaustion and not to make it bigger than what reality made it...is helping me out with some of my meds as my prescriptions and insurance are still out of kilter and been without for two weeks...and asked me to just work on letting things go...to get out from behind the drivers seat...so just being and visualizing myself on a beach I love...with bare feet and little waves ebbing in and out...can't even name what I am letting go of or how deeply seated it is...but I am just standing there...watching the water...and letting it come and go...and crying my tears...I am in two places...my bed (physically) and on the beach (spiritually).

Have also given support to my Parents of Addicts group online today...there have been many things that have happened...and although many are good and I am grateful to the parents who are in a good place now and posting...as it reminds us that good things can happen for our addicts...even when it takes a very long time...and there are really hard consequences for them to deal with and face...there have been more not so good ones too where it is so important to lift others and to be there for them...even if we are a bit shakey ourselves.

I just allowed myself to write from the heart...there are a few, like me, who seem to feel things deeper than perhaps many do...and my words helped them...and I was also reached out to by a few that helped so much to know I am not alone...and in one case...a very old post was posted to by a new member and I had to let her know that I felt that my HP (God) was just tipping her hand to write on that old (1 year old post about my daughter and me) and telling me by bumping it to the top...plus she has a daughter and had good advice that will help me if the situation comes up again (court)...that I am not invisible...and that God is just kind of reaching out to tip God's cap and say...just keep going...it will get better....or maybe that is SR.

I am not in any way ok...but I am continuing forward and working through things the best I can...and letting things unfold as they are supposed to unfold...and I have no idea what that means...but am doing it...
Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Iris, it hurts to go to a job interview and not get the job, but that doesn't mean you are not worthy or a failure of any kind.

Think of a beauty pageant, there are maybe 10 finalists and then 5 and then one winner and two runners up....every one of those women are beautiful and talented and confident or scared to death but can fake poise well...each one is special and wonderful on her own...and yet only one gets to wear the crown. The others are not losers, not failures, they just didn't get picked...this time.

Try not to be discouraged, you ARE worthy of any job you apply for but it may take several interviews until you get to "wear the crown".

Trust the process and know that you WILL get a job.

Hugs