SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Owning Our Power (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/358732-owning-our-power.html)

Ann 02-07-2015 04:56 AM

Owning Our Power

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Owning Our Power

We need to make a distinction between powerlessness and owning our power.

The first step in recovery is accepting powerlessness. There are some things we can't do, no matter how long or hard we try. These things include changing other people, solving their problems, and controlling their behavior. Sometimes, we feel powerless over ourselves - what we feel or believe, or the effects of a particular situation or person on us.

It's important to surrender to powerlessness, but it's equally important to own our power. We aren't trapped. We aren't helpless. Sometimes it may feel like we are, but we aren't. We each have the God-given power, and the right, to take care of ourselves in any circumstance, and with any person. The middle ground of self-care lies between the two extremes of controlling others and allowing them to control us. We can walk that ground gently or assertively, but in confidence that it is our right and responsibility.

Let the power come to walk that path.

Today, I will remember that I can take care of my self. I have choices, and I can exercise the options I choose without guilt.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie

Ann 02-07-2015 05:02 AM

I used to feel that if I couldn't stop my son's addiction or change his way of living, then MY life was going to be sad and unhealthy as a result.

The thing is, HIS life was not mine to change, good or bad, right or wrong.

When I came to realize that the life I needed to change most was my own, I regained my power to live well and be happy and remain healthy...regardless of what my son's choices were.

My Coda group annual medallions had written on them "To Thine Own Self Be True". It wasn't a selfish saying, it was about self-preservation. Today I stand for what I believe, even when I stand alone. I take good care of myself, no matter what others may think.

Today I own my power to take back my life and live it seeing the beauty in every sunrise and the joy in each day.

Hugs to each one of you with hope that you too will own your power, beginning today. :grouphug:

MIRecovery 02-07-2015 05:12 AM

Very wise and wonderful words. Words of someone who knows pain and has come out the other side

24hrsAday 02-07-2015 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ann (Post 5186977)
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Owning Our Power

We need to make a distinction between powerlessness and owning our power.

The first step in recovery is accepting powerlessness. There are some things we can't do, no matter how long or hard we try. These things include changing other people, solving their problems, and controlling their behavior. Sometimes, we feel powerless over ourselves - what we feel or believe, or the effects of a particular situation or person on us.

It's important to surrender to powerlessness, but it's equally important to own our power. We aren't trapped. We aren't helpless. Sometimes it may feel like we are, but we aren't. We each have the God-given power, and the right, to take care of ourselves in any circumstance, and with any person. The middle ground of self-care lies between the two extremes of controlling others and allowing them to control us. We can walk that ground gently or assertively, but in confidence that it is our right and responsibility.

Let the power come to walk that path.

Today, I will remember that I can take care of my self. I have choices, and I can exercise the options I choose without guilt.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie

Wow.. good stuff here! thanks for posting Ann! :wild

JOIE12 02-07-2015 05:28 AM

thank you for taking the time to share this. I listen to her books on my tablet or in the car whenever I need to remember.

Have a blessed day Ann :)