Back at it

Old 02-01-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There are a few examples for a sober home family contract online.

But the contract needs to be made specifically for your family.

In my late teens I was in active addiction.. I spent 3 months in a dual diagnosed hospital. I was on probation and avoiding a long sentence.

My last family meeting, mom and I drew up a contract.

My contract included that if I broke any aspect of probation (drug use being one of course), police or probation officer was called immediately. No exceptions.

Once probation ended.. if I broke the law or used drugs.. I had to move out immediately. Once my mother felt I was working a strong recovery program again.. we would revisit the possibility of me moving in again.

I had to care for a stray dog I brought home from a drug binge the year before. If I didn't, she would go back to the shelter.

I kept my area and messes cleaned up.

I attended therapy weekly and a certain number of meetings.

We were not allowed to yell.

My mother and I both had a safe word in the contract. We would use during tense times.. and a required 12 hour cooling period was given before topic was approached.

My mother was not allowed to bring up things I did in the past. We talked about things from the past.. but we focused on moving forward.

I had to find a job and provide support for the household.

I cooked one family meal a week.

My mother had to attend her own therapy.

There were other conditions. As time progressed we changed it..

Till it was only.. that I respected my mother's house and rules. Plain and simple.

They don't have to be detailed like mine. It worked for us in our situation. My mother is a recovering Co dependent so the contract was for both of us.

The contract can simply be.. no drug use and follow the house rules or you leave immediately. Just needs to be clearly explained to everyone living in the house.