He's back at it

Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He's back at it

Hello SR Family. JJ is now officially homeless and lost everything again. Asking for prayers. He lied to his girlfriend about having a job and they could not afford the rent on their room. He left her stranded yesterday while he took off. Our family picked up the pieces and helped her move out (under one condition that she does NOT stay with JJ).
I gave JJ a blanket, pillow and jacket. He asked me to drop him off at a sober living facility where some of his former roomates from rehab stayed. Last I heard yesterday they were trying to get him a bed.
Of course he is not clean at this point so I don't know if they will make him go to detox. In my experience with JJ, we get 3 good months after rehab and then he self destructs.

I feel so drained and exhausted but this time around I really understand with both my heart and my head that this is HIS life. He must decide for himself how he wants to live. More than anything, my request is for prayers for JJ and for my peace and to find comfort while I am in this place of despair and sadness. I hate to say it, but it feels like he is dead already.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
This is heartbreaking to read. But, as you've said:

In my experience with JJ, we get 3 good months after rehab and then he self destructs.
And it's willful self destruction. All you can do is what you're doing: hold him in your heart, pray for him, but allow him the dignity to make his own decisions.

Hang in there.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

JJ always has my prayers, good days and bad. I am so sorry he relapsed again and I pray he can learn from this and grow and find a better path to stay grounded on.

I know the sad disappointment you feel, it's an awful sick feeling even when we are working our program and know we can't change what is.

So I am sending mama to mama hugs, prayers for you too, and my sincere wishes that one day soon your life returns to a happier place.

Hugs and Hugs
Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. I wish we could make it all stop. Prayers for you both.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

i'm so sorry... walking with you and praying for your peace and his wake up... my son sits on the fence, no progress either way, and it can be exhausting.

i try hard to remember i am not the addict... and find calm where i can and create joy where i can and then remind myself again when sadness overwhelms me i am not the addict...

more mama to mama hugs heading your way.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. Tight hugs and lots of prayers coming your way!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I am feeling that PTSD stress today, reliving when JJ was last homeless for 3.5 months before he got arrested. He will be out of phone minutes at midnight tonight and basically out of touch for me. Letting go second by second and resisting the urge to text him or call him.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have children, but my heart breaks for you.

Watching an addict self-distruct is such a painful and helpless experience, but you did everything you could for your son.

JJ might be hard to reach by your love at this point, but I thank you for offering a helping hand to his gf. I can not speak for JJ, but I have been friends with an addict and am still grateful for the people who stood by my side when the "ship went down" - they helped make a difference in my life.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks 91111. His girlfriend is a beautiful, kind and caring woman, but she was in such huge denial about JJ's relapse. It had to be the WORST thing for her to go through realizing the man she loves is not the person who she is with now. She is an ex addict and already lost a boyfriend a few years ago to a heroin overdose. I gave her the only advise that I could. My son is not worthy of your love and this is not your fault. Her family allowed her to move back home so she can regroup. JJ does not have that option. I made it crystal clear in May when he relapsed last time, he cannot live with us.
Its so sad that he doesn't even see what his choices have done to his family.
We all function better with little to no contact, and that part is also very hard for me.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

My heart hurts for you. To me, there is no mistress who controls a person's mind, body and soul the way heroin and other opiates do. Once my daughter was telling me how it felt when she overdosed, and by the way she described how she felt before she stopped breathing,I knew, although she almost died that she wasn't done. It's hard for me to imagine, but seeing what it does to our beloved kids, it is incomprehensibly frightening.

I know that you know you are doing the right thing, but it doesn't hurt to hear it again. You are. I'm praying that you find peace and that JJ remembers all he found in sober times and gets back on track quickly. I hope he learns as much from each relapse as you have learned and that you and your family and this sweet young girl feel the love and support that surrounds you in this difficult time.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
but she was in such huge denial about JJ's relapse
Well, she ain't anymore. Still, a horrible lesson to learn...
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes Zoso, she has her eyes wide open. She is only 24, its hard when your heart is broken at a young age. I was talking to her today and said the LAST thing she needs right now is a Man LOL!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Greet, it is not easy walking this path. But while they are breathing, there is hope. Jay understands the pull of the addiction and he hasn't been "sick and tired" enough to give it up. I have NO idea what kind of bottom he must have with everything he has already been through!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
Hello SR Family. JJ is now officially homeless and lost everything again. Asking for prayers. He lied to his girlfriend about having a job and they could not afford the rent on their room. He left her stranded yesterday while he took off. Our family picked up the pieces and helped her move out (under one condition that she does NOT stay with JJ).
I gave JJ a blanket, pillow and jacket. He asked me to drop him off at a sober living facility where some of his former roomates from rehab stayed. Last I heard yesterday they were trying to get him a bed.
Of course he is not clean at this point so I don't know if they will make him go to detox. In my experience with JJ, we get 3 good months after rehab and then he self destructs.

I feel so drained and exhausted but this time around I really understand with both my heart and my head that this is HIS life. He must decide for himself how he wants to live. More than anything, my request is for prayers for JJ and for my peace and to find comfort while I am in this place of despair and sadness. I hate to say it, but it feels like he is dead already.
I am so sorry. I can relate. I am going through it today too. My son is on probation for cocaine possession. Today his friend who was with him called and said he got caught for shoplifting. I imagine he got arrested but haven't heard anything for hours so that is a pretty sure sign he has.

He was temporarily living with me for last two months but won't be anymore. He'll either be in jail or homeless.

We certainly don't deserve this. Hugs from one mom to another. I also hate to say it but I am almost glad. I'd rather see him in jail (I guess) than out on the streets. He has two kids. This hurts so much. The grandkids are fine as they live with their mom.

Now my husband and I have to figure out how to get through this. So sad.

Kari
Old 01-05-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's too much agony and sadness, anger and frustration. I am so sorry for you and for JJ and his GF. My heart goes out to you, along with a big strong hug. I so understand the PTSD. I am on a little "trip" myself with it right now and, wow, how quickly their dramas circle back and grab onto our old trauma/addiction memories. I will keep you all in my prayers tonight.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I, too, am so sorry this happened to JJ and to your family. My heart breaks that
you have to see this again in your son. Addiction has no mercy.
Tight hugs and prayers coming your way...
Please take care of yourself
TF
Old 01-05-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, sweetie. Big hugs and prayers to you, JJ and his gf.

Amy
Old 01-05-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's been a long road we've been traveling, with a lot of ups and downs. Teresa, you and JJ are in my prayers and thoughts. I know this is not easy for you and yet your kindness shines through with helping his girlfriend. May JJ find and use the tools to get back on the road to recovery. Many hugs coming your way.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So sorry you are going thru this. It hurts so bad when you think you see a little progress and you get your hopes up only to have them dashed again. You are doing all the right things even though it hurts so much. Prayers for you and your family.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
suffering is not a requirement

I'M sorry abt his relapse. prayers going up for all concerned.. I am just sitting here nodding my head to everything that you said and everything everyone has said. I understand the feelings. I have thrown my son out several times..he visits now under my close supervision, he knows if he comes to my home high or gets high while there ..he will be immediately asked to leave. He loves me, his son, and my son..in fact he lives for the boys. I just pray he sticks to it. He sees us a couple times a month and yep that's plenty for me. I've been dealing with him and his addiction for way too long and frankly I just don't want to anymore. What a freedom it is to be able to give him back to God, Detach with love and not have to be a victim of his addiction anymore.
Amongst the katrillion things that SR has helped to me keep going was this
.."As long as they're still sucking in air, there is hope for them"..I heard that many years ago, and still use it. I Thank God every day for the ppl here.
I Pray daily for all the ppl here and their addicts
Hugs to you ILMSJJ