Newbie - My Story

Old 12-11-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie - My Story

I have already posted a little about my daughter but, since I plan on being part of this group, I will explain a little bit of what my life has been.

I have 2 grown children, both with substance abuse problems. My son is 43 years old and severely bipolar. He has had several psychotic breaks and the last one has destroyed my relationship with him. Alcohol and drugs enhance his mania and over the past summer he has been hospitalized twice. The last incident happened in June. I received a text from his neighbor telling me he was manic, drunk and "on something" and said he was going to murder his family. Fortunately, I had sense enough to lock the doors because 20 minutes later he tried to break down my front door and threatened to steal my dog. When I looked out of the upstairs window he threw bricks at me. He stood in front of my house and threatened me.

Short story - I pressed charges, he was ordered to get drug and alcohol counseling, anger management and ordered to see his psychiatrist. There was a protection order initiated but when I went to sign it he didn't show up and I learned that he wasn't even served because he wasn't there when the sheriff showed up at his house. He was ordered to stay away from me and I haven't seen him since. My husband has and he said our son is sober and doing well but he hates me. It breaks my heart but if that is the price to pay for him staying sober and taking his meds so be it.

My daughter was in a relationship with a multi-millionaire for 10 years. She was in college and one semester away from graduating with an English major. The day before her wedding the housekeeper handed her a pre-nup that pretty much would leave her with nothing if the marriage failed. She called the wedding off and looked up an old friend who had just got out of prison for cocaine charges. The rest is history. She has put us through hell ever since. That was about 10 years ago.

We practically raised her son who is now 23 years old. When he was growing up she worked 2 jobs and he spent most of his time at our house. We enjoyed every minute of it. While living in the mansion with the millionaire he began drinking at the age of 16, got kicked out of a rehab and started smoking pot. He put us through hell for several years with his drinking. Then, a year and a little less than 2 years ago he became a heroin addict. He stole from us and wrecked my car. His attitude was terrible and he hated everyone and everything. He overdosed last year and, if his "friends" hadn't known CPR he would be dead. He was given 2 Narcan injections by the paramedics and, fortunately, he survived.

He finally got arrested and was given probation and a fine. He is now in a Methadone program and has a job. His attitude has improved tremendously and he says he never wants to return to the world of heroin again. The counseling he is finally getting has worked miracles. He is home every night and goes to bed at about 8:00 so he can get up, ride his bike to the clinic and then to work. I can finally breathe as far as he goes.

Had I been told that this would be my life when my kids were growing up I wouldn't have believed it. Drugs and alcohol were not part of our lives. I am a nurse and my husband worked in a factory until he had to go on disability. Our lives revolved around our kids. They were never abused or neglected. We worked hard to give them a good life and they have caused nothing but grief for us.

Last edited by 2694life; 12-11-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am glad you joined us and sorry for how addiction has affected you and your family.

There comes a time when we just have to let go and leave the rest between our children and God.

You sound like you are managing to do that fairly well. My prayers go out for your family, that life takes a turn for the better soon.

Hugs
Old 12-14-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, 2694life, to SR. I am sorry for the many ways that addiction has affected your family.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am a newbie myself. Glad you found SR! Its a great forum!