Wishing the enabling would stop

Old 12-10-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wishing the enabling would stop

I walked away from an alcoholic boyfriend a week ago. I've broken all contact, blocked him on my phone and social media. His mum has been in touch to see how I am, she told me that he had drunk again since we split up. She said he was abusive to her and so her husband told him he had a week to leave their house. I was actually pleased, not for the fact he would be homeless, but for the fact that I believe he will think about his addiction once all the enabling stops.

Anyway, yesterday I dropped some of his belongings to his house and left them at the front door. I text his mum so she knew they were there. His mum text back to thank me, but also to say her son still didn't understand why I had broken contact. I told her that if he didn't understand, then I knew I had definitely made the right decision. He's so far in denial. I told her I felt more peaceful now I don't have to worry about his drinking and said that I hope she feels the same when his week at home is up and he had to leave, I said that it must be soon? No reply. I can only think that he must be getting another chance. I wish the enabling would just stop. He will never learn this way.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would say NC with him AND his mother would be for the best.

XXX
Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I would say NC with him AND his mother would be for the best.

XXX
Yes, I agree.

He isn't your problem anymore, and isn't that great?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Sweetfa View Post
I walked away from an alcoholic boyfriend a week ago. I've broken all contact, blocked him on my phone and social media. His mum has been in touch to see how I am, she told me that he had drunk again since we split up. She said he was abusive to her and so her husband told him he had a week to leave their house. I was actually pleased, not for the fact he would be homeless, but for the fact that I believe he will think about his addiction once all the enabling stops.

Anyway, yesterday I dropped some of his belongings to his house and left them at the front door. I text his mum so she knew they were there. His mum text back to thank me, but also to say her son still didn't understand why I had broken contact. I told her that if he didn't understand, then I knew I had definitely made the right decision. He's so far in denial. I told her I felt more peaceful now I don't have to worry about his drinking and said that I hope she feels the same when his week at home is up and he had to leave, I said that it must be soon? No reply. I can only think that he must be getting another chance. I wish the enabling would just stop. He will never learn this way.
You're to be commended for making a tough call and following through on that decision.

Where you are NC with your AXBF, I don't believe it's appropriate or in your best interests to be in contact with his mother. Doesn't mean you don't wish her well. It just means you're looking out for yourself.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

She may not have replied because she doesn't want to get involved with her son's relationships...that's how it was with me for my son's.

And yes, I enabled and when I knew better I did better. It's very hard for a mother to let go of an adult child who is on a path of self-destruction. I'm not justifying enabling, just trying to say how it is from a mama's perspective.

You are wise to move forward with your life, and I support your decision.

Hugs and Hugs
Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No Contact as a solution to the madness of addiction is a terrible option.

The trouble is.......it is the BEST option out of those available.