Wrestling with tough love, boundaries, and fear of death

Old 11-24-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I get that Marcus - I still call myself a former crackhead.

Vaya - when I was on the streets, I walked around when it was below freezing with snow/ice all over; when it was over 100 degrees. I usually found some place to lay down in empty apartments or where the dope boys hung out.

Don't kid yourself that he can't find somewhere to go. No, my options were not what any parent would want for their child, but it's what *I* needed to go through to get to where I am.

I had a free rehab I could have gone to in my town, as well as Salvation Army. I didn't want to deal with the rules and having to stay clean. It was MY choice.

One of the things I was taught by people here is to give someone the dignity of living with their life choices. Once I found recovery and realized I couldn't save my friends/family who were still using, it was hard, but the people here were right.

I had no right to tell any adult how to live their life, even if I DID know better I had to learn my lessons the hard way and I'm stronger for it. I owe it to my loved ones to give them the same opportunity.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Marcus,

I'll agree with PARTS of that. Like it wasn't a wise place to GO to in the first place.
But I tire of those who have never seen the HEAT of high order difficulties tell me how
they'd react if under stress. AKA, "I've never been in battle but if I was I would be like this
superhero guy".

Well, maybe yes...and maybe no. You might acquit yourself well in battle, or just soil
yourself, drop your weapon, and RUN. The truth is (just like "who will get addicted?").....
no one knows until they face the crucible.

But, with all due respect....here you are writing a very well put together piece helping
people other than yourself-----no intention to inflate your ego but the truth is a
great many others (we both know).....fell in this battle and won't be getting back up.
Just because they lost this battle does not mean I respect their fight for their lives
any less. Any high order thinker knows a larger percentage of his/her future fate
depends on luck than any of us would like to admit.

I came here to find out what is the hell is wrong with these addicts. What I walk
away with is a healthy skepticism of my OWN motivations and a healthy replenishment
of my (then) dangerously depleted ......humility.

There but for the Grace of God go WE, my friend.

I once tried to save another from their choices. It was wrong of me---and ultimately
disrespectful of her. The only good thing I took away from it (other than SR)---was recognizing
and rectifying my mistake....by going no contact forever.

V/R

Vale
Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Vale - all I can say is in my eyes you get it. We are all flawless drivers from the back seat. Many of us have been in the drivers seat and avoided killing ourselves and others and say to themselves I DID THAT - I DROVE - I GOT US THERE - ME ME ME, but the people I respect most are the ones that know when it is time to hand the keys over and let someone else drive for a bit. Admitting defeat isn't weakness. It is one of the most powerful things you can do. Sometimes you have to surrender to save your life.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vaya View Post

So, just to respond to some of your inquiries/comments.
Not sure what Peace and Grace meant by 4 1/2 years not that long. For me in my recovery? or meaning that's much time to deal with it?? bit confused.
vaya, I responding to this comment of yours: I told him I am done watching him destroy himself and that I don't want to contribute to that....that the last 4 1/2 years was enough and nothing changed

I interpreted that to mean the last 4 1/2 years was enough to deal with. This is in relation to the 15ish years I dealt with bailing out my son, making excuses, watching the heartbreak and train wrecks. So, if my interpretation is correct, I think you are doing amazingly well! It can take moms years to finally reach your point of saying enough is enough!