& he did it again... I need strength.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

& he did it again... I need strength.

So if you read my previous posts you'll know my situation. I thank everyone for the great responses as they have definently opened my eyes to the situation. So I had thought my addict boyfriend who is now in a halfway house 13 hours away from me were officially done & over with... I happened to be the one to officially end it due to a facebook comment that was made by him & a fellow "rehab friend"... pretty much stating....

"my boyfriend/ex": What do girls do when they are in relapse mood?
"the rehab friend": They go straight for the ****, come on you know this buddy!!!!

Uhm, what does that mean? I took it as he had cheated on me while in rehab.

Later that night I went out with friends. & of course posted pics of us out. I needed to clear my mind after seeing that. As to how I have been 100% loyal the whole month & a half he's been gone. & of course he see's these pics & texts me "so you wanna be done so you can go out" & I continued to tell him why I broke up to him. Which was because of that facebook post. He swore up & down that he didn't cheat... whatever, thats besides the point now.

After Ignoring me for weeks upon weeks after I DROVE down there to visit him, yes, I DROVE 13 hours just to see my boyfriend for two hours on a saturday & two hours on a Sunday.

He finally talked to me like a normal person after that. I did give him his space. As I do believe that he needs time to himself. So I will let him approach me first. He had told me that he wants to be with me, he loves me, blah blah blah. but he doesnt know how it will work with him being 13 hours away from me. He told me he wants to get to know ME sober. Because during our whole 5 month relationship he was on heroin. Which I was oblivious to at first. So he had invited me to come down there for a weekend, since he's now in a halfway house & he can spend pretty much the whole weekend with me. So of course I agreed. I acted on my heart & not my head.

So now he's starting to go back to his "unsure" self. I had already got the time off work to go the 21st-24th. Everything was going good untill now. He is back to ignoring me & hardly talking to me.

So now i'm thinking that I have to be the one to say "maybe this isn't right right now" which I did. I sent him a huge long text saying he needs to get his head straight & figure out himself before he even speaks to me or asks me to come visit him down there. I would love to get to know my "ex boyfriend" sober. But I know in my heart that right now is not the right time. He needs to figure himself out first. & maybe when he's ready to come home or what not, we can work on things. This is so hard because he keeps pulling me back in & pushing me away. A lot of the things I have read on this forum are very helpful & have opened my eyes to a lot of things with this situation. I don't think I would have had the guts to text him & tell him I AM not ready if it wasen't for some of the things I have read on this site. I do believe that I love him, But I do not believe he loved me. How can you feel love when your on heroin. How can you feel any emotion? It makes you numb. Therefor I believe what him & I had was not real. It was an addict (him) & caretaker/enabler (me) relationship. & Its hard to accept that, but I am slowly starting to accept it. I'm trying to stay strong but it is extremely hard.

I do love him & I miss him. A lot of things remind me of him... certain songs/activities ect. But I have to look at this situation realistically... which I haven't been doing.

I don't know how to let go, & I know that is the best thing for both of us right now...

Before he pulls me in again, & really, what is the point? Why is he doing this?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Why is he doing this?
Because he's an addict, and this is what addicts do.

I know, I know. Sounds too simple, and it's probably not what you want to hear. But what I would encourage you to do is, instead of focusing on what he's doing and why he's doing it, focus on your choices.

As I said in my original response to you, your boundaries are very permeable. You need to ask yourself why you're allowing him to still be in the picture. "Because you love him" does not qualify as an answer.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
Because he's an addict, and this is what addicts do.

I know, I know. Sounds too simple, and it's probably not what you want to hear. But what I would encourage you to do is, instead of focusing on what he's doing and why he's doing it, focus on your choices.

As I said in my original response to you, your boundaries are very permeable. You need to ask yourself why you're allowing him to still be in the picture. "Because you love him" does not qualify as an answer.
Thank you Zoso77,

Actually what you had said is exactly what I need to hear. Your right with everything you had said in your responses. I don't even think that I can tell you why I still want to be with him, because I honestly don't know why. & saying I love him is just an excuse as to why I think I want to stay with him. I think that I need to figure myself out as well as him needing to figure himself out. We both have a lot of emotions running thru our heads. I'm just trying to be the stronger person in this situation. It's hard but it's whats best.

Thank you for your response.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I don't even think that I can tell you why I still want to be with him, because I honestly don't know why.
I suspect I know why. By your own admission, you've tended to date guys you treat you poorly, and this guy didn't, at least not at first. He validated you, showed you kindness, and did just enough to lure you in before he dropped the bomb about his addiction.

The cognitive dissonance you must be experiencing as a result of this is like having your neck snapped back. It doesn't make sense. And what you want to go back to is the guy that treated you well in the beginning.

But it doesn't work that way. He put his best face on, but because he's an addict, he can't wear that face for long. He's simply not capable of being a mature, accountable partner in a romantic relationship, even though you really want him to be.

Get rid of him, and put you first.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Instead of putting all this work into why he is doing what he is doing, and visits with him, you deserve to take the time to figure out why you will not part with someone who is treating you this way. Just my opinion. Naranon would be a good start.

I am sorry, I know it hurts. Just know that you deserve more.