He's Left rehab early - now theres a surprise

Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He's Left rehab early - now theres a surprise

I've heard all the lies and my life's been turned upset down since my partner walked back into my life nearly 3 years ago.. he was in detox for3 weeks promising all would be different and he'd since the light. Things were going great until the day came to go into a 6 month rehab programme and he left after just 1 day, told me he didn't need it and he could do it all through daily NA meetings and church. Well I fell for it again :-( that was 2 weeks ago.. I know he's been attending meetings as I'd drop him off and pick him up (most of the time) he was like a brand new partner, starting to actually care about himself and others. He was so kind and considerate, anyway that lasted all of 9 days... we even went to church together this morning but afterwards he was sneaking about again and lying through his teeth, we've ended by having a blazing row. His poor mam gets back from a 2 week holiday tomorrow and still thinks he's in rehab.. he'll break her heart again too
I've enabled him and done nothing but love the bones of him.. he's on a recovery radio show tomorrow but I'll be very surprised if he shows up for it. I read loads of posts on here the thing that stands out the most is every single user has promised never to use again but almost every user breaks that promise.. I'm gutted but getting stronger in my decision to get shut of this nightmare.. I said in a previous post I felt like I owed him the chance of rehab and that's what I've done.. I've given him a chance to prove he's wanting to change but all he's done is convince me he'll never be clean .. it's such a tough decision but I'm done now time to move on,, his loss my gain
Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I've given him a chance to prove he's wanting to change but all he's done is convince me he'll never be clean
Thanks for following up with us as to what's going on.

Sadly, none of this is surprising. When someone has had 16 years to get their act together and have not done so, the chances that they will are quite small.

If you're really ready to make the break, and I mean really ready, you'll have to go No Contact. It will be difficult for you. But sometimes we have to do what we have to do.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think most people here have believed the promises, only to see them disappear as if they were never made. I believed my EXABF's promises to get sober and stay that way, but I finally realized talk is cheap. He has to be fully invested in recovery to be successful, it's his journey. I think there is always room for hope, but you can't put your life on hold in the meantime.