Help!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!

My husband is a recovering narcotic abuser. He's been clean about 3 months. 3 days ago everything seemed fine, and then the doctor prescribed him pain pills and he wasn't able to refuse. We got in a fight, and now is missing work. I am so worried because we have children together and I am now 6 months pregnant. He rarely will talk to me, but all be keeps saying is he's trying to find himself right now. I am so scared he will not be able to recover and I don't know how to be there for him, or get him to come home. I can't even sleep. Please help!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so, so sorry! I have found that there's just not much we can do to get them to do anything when the addiction rears its ugly head. It's so hard. At this point try to focus on you and the kids. I have been where you're at, and it's such a scary place to be. Honestly, the only thing that helped was to take a deep breath and reach out, if you have a support system, family, friends? I know it is hard, and you don't want to be judged, or have them judge him, but you may need some help. The second thing that actually helped was for me to take some control back. Look into what you can do, there are organizations to get you some help financially, if that's what you need. It helps to have a backup plan, just in case, even just to make you feel better.

I don't have a lot of time right now, as I have to get to work, but others will chime in soon. This is a great place to come, and a lot of people here have been exactly where you are! Keep posting, you're not alone. We are here for you, and we do understand.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't believe this is happening. I'm so sad.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay strong for yourself and your children. Fond a support group in your area to attend it will help. Sending prayers!!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Kristydix View Post
My husband is a recovering narcotic abuser. He's been clean about 3 months. 3 days ago everything seemed fine, and then the doctor prescribed him pain pills and he wasn't able to refuse. We got in a fight, and now is missing work. I am so worried because we have children together and I am now 6 months pregnant. He rarely will talk to me, but all be keeps saying is he's trying to find himself right now. I am so scared he will not be able to recover and I don't know how to be there for him, or get him to come home. I can't even sleep. Please help!
Kristy...

Welcome to the Board. I'm sorry you're in this spot. Especially while you're expecting.

Unfortunately, opiate addiction is extremely difficult to get a handle on. Three months clean is not a long time. Your AH came to a fork in the road when faced with pain medication, and he chose to feed his addiction.

Do you have family in the area that can provide you support? I would assume the worst right now. Protect yourself, protect your children, and especially protect your unborn child.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We don't have any meetings around where we live