Not using, now depressed

Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not using, now depressed

My fiance is trying to stay clean now he is depressed he called off work yesterday and slept all day and is very withdrawn. He said he didn't feel like doing anything. I still went to my first therapy session and also my first nar anon meeting yesterday. I'm praying so hard it hurts
Old 09-25-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Withdrawals often bring a whole wave of emotions and depression is one of them. He might want to speak to his doctor about this and maybe he can get some help.

I'm glad you are doing the "do" things for yourself, it's a good time to find your balance and stay steady on your own path.

Hugs
Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann, I'm sure he is experiencing alot of things so they only thing I can do is try to work on myself and get ready to handle whatever decision I have to make. My first meeting was good mostly parents were there but I felt their support. I'll be going back for my own sanity. Thanks for the hugs!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

most addicts feel awful in the after math.....remember the body has now assimilated the drug use and DEPENDS upon it.....when the drug is WITHDRAWN the body goes ape sh!t. which is precisely why addicts will return to the drug, to feel "better" or "normal".

withdrawal symptoms vary from person to person and from drug to drug. rest, healthy food, and a positive outlook can go a long way. however, that is all up TO HIM.

good for you in maintaining your schedule and your self care.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm hoping he will have the will to pull through I know that I can't make him. I know yelling at him won't help. He knows I'm here and I love him. The meeting and therapy is providing me support to go about my day and know it's not my fault what is happening. It's helping me all around. ..thanks for the support
Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by engaged62715 View Post
I'm hoping he will have the will to pull through I know that I can't make him. I know yelling at him won't help. He knows I'm here and I love him. The meeting and therapy is providing me support to go about my day and know it's not my fault what is happening. It's helping me all around. ..thanks for the support
I was thinking about what you said about the yelling won't help...
All it did for me was frustrate me, start a headache and make my throat hurt.
Always remember that it's not your fault.
Take care,
TF
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

From
Withdrawal Symptoms for Drug and Alcohol Addiction: Physical, Emotional

Withdrawal occurs because your brain works like a spring when it comes to addiction. Drugs and alcohol are brain depressants that push down the spring. They suppress your brain's production of neurotransmitters like noradrenaline. When you stop using drugs or alcohol it's like taking the weight off the spring, and your brain rebounds by producing a surge of adrenaline that causes withdrawal symptoms.

Every drug is different. Some drugs produce significant physical withdrawal (alcohol, opiates, and tranquilizers). Some drugs produce little physical withdrawal, but more emotional withdrawal (cocaine, marijuana, and ecstasy). Every person's physical withdrawal pattern is also different. You may experience little physical withdrawal. But that doesn't mean that you're not addicted, instead you may experience more emotional withdrawal.

Below are two lists of withdrawal symptoms. The first list is the emotional withdrawal symptoms produced by all drugs. You can experience them whether you have physical withdrawal symptoms or not. The second list is the physical withdrawal symptoms that usually occur with alcohol, opiates, and tranquilizers.

Emotional Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety
Restlessness
Irritability
Insomnia
Headaches
Poor concentration
Depression
Social isolation

Physical Withdrawal Symptoms
Sweating
Racing heart
Palpitations
Muscle tension
Tightness in the chest
Difficulty breathing
Tremor
Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea

Dangerous Withdrawal Symptoms

Alcohol and tranquilizers produce the most dangerous physical withdrawal. Suddenly stopping alcohol or tranquilizers can lead to seizures, strokes, or heart attacks in high risk patients. A medically supervised detox can minimize your withdrawal symptoms and reduce the risk of dangerous complications. Some of the dangerous symptoms of alcohol and tranquillizer withdrawal are:

Grand mal seizures
Heart attacks
Strokes
Hallucinations
Delirium tremens (DTs)

Withdrawal from opiates like heroin and oxycontin is extremely uncomfortable, but not dangerous unless they are mixed with other drugs. Heroin withdrawal on its own does not produce seizures, heart attacks, strokes, or delirium tremens. (Reference: Addictions and Recovery.org - Relapse Prevention and Coping Skills)
Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow great information thanks!