Today Matters

Old 09-15-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lightbulb Today Matters

Today matters

Live today like it matters. Because it does.

There are people you’ll never even know who will be influenced by what you do today. So give this day your attention, your love, your very best.

There are ways that you cannot now imagine in which your own life will be influenced by the way you live this day. So live it with integrity, enthusiasm and an eye for the positive possibilities.

The world in which you live will be affected by the way you make use of this day. So fill your moments with thankfulness, imagination and joy.

Today matters, and right now you have the chance to make it matter in a most positive and fulfilling way. Today is the day when your life is lived, and many things in your life will be determined by what you do with today.

If you take this whole day for granted, it will leave you with nothing but regret. Yet it does not have to be that way. Live today like it matters, for now is when you truly can.

— Ralph Marston
Old 09-15-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My dear grandfather lived with us for about 5 years as he got older. He was not sick when he came and was helpful to my mother who was widowed young with 3 children and a full time job to take care of.

Gramps, who rose with the sun each day, used to say "Get up each morning and groom and dress like you have something important to do. Then do it."

And he did. Some days he would walk to a nursing home about a mile from our house, and volunteer to help others and just talk to them and share stories and maybe take some out for a walk. Some days he would walk in the city park, a few blocks away and bring home wildflowers for the table. He would stop by the bakery and talk to the owner or wash his car and polish it all by hand.

He made each day count for something and I learned a lot from that wise old man.

My husband has been quite sick the past few months and is undergoing tests and procedures to try to figure out what is wrong. He cannot leave home most days, he needs his bed and his bathroom often. I have found myself "stuck" in his illness. The help he needs from me is for about 3 hours a day max, or none at all some days. But I stay home and hover and drive us both crazy.

This reading today was a good reminder for me to "get up each morning and dress like you have something important to do...and then do it," I don't have to squander all my days being a caregiver, when caregiving isn't needed.

So beginning today I will find some purpose each day and do something "important", even if it is a drive in the country to get fresh apples off the trees or to seek out an interest group and join and attend weekly meetings.

Today matters. I can live it well or waste it but either way, it will never come again.

Hugs
Old 09-15-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann - Your strength in your words and sentiment is greatly known by all of us here at SR. I sometimes wonder why those of us who are strong in our advices, so frank in our assistance and so worldly in our communications, find it so difficult to allow the pure magic of those same sentiments to engulf our own hearts and heal our heads! We continually chastise ourselves for failure to launch and learn but our greatest teacher and sometimes nemesis, lies within, my friend. Embrace your inner you and fly forward with all of us that enjoy your wisdom and grace.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you and your husband, my dear friend Ann.
I hope the tests reveal more and you both get good news soon.

The comfort you bring to these pages is bigger than all of us.

Peace be to you, my friend.

Amysad said it best.....what you bring
----- is pure magic!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh my goodness, let me adjust my tiara when my head stops swelling.

You all are so kind and I love that somehow my words touch your hearts. All this time it was your words touching mine that inspire me each day.

I went out this morning and caught a sale of new winter sweaters...I am lacking winter clothes since I have spent very little winter time here the past 5 years. And I bought some silk flowers for my bedroom, stopped at a bakery (thinking of my grandpa set that thought in my head) and I picked up some good reading for this rainy afternoon.

That was a lot more fun than moping around feeling sorry for myself and our situation. Mr. Ann headed out on his own and had some tests this morning and I think he enjoyed the break from my "hovering" too...I cannot imagine how that might be.

Making today matter is nothing more than forming a plan, even a small plan, and then doing it. What a difference putting purpose in my day made.

Love you all for being here for me, who knew I'd be leaning on Amysad and a duck called Vale.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you and Mr. Ann get some answers soon, Ann and that those answers are positive. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad the reading helped you remember to put the oxygen mask on yourself first and that you both enjoyed a little time alone.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Such a great reading - at just the right moment Ann....as always.

My aunt passed away on Sunday. She died in ICU with my sister and I by her side. Just like my mother, her identical twin. Life is short, live it to its fullest.

My prayers are with you and Mr. Ann.

For the love of God, give the poor guy some space. What if he ever stops short? Where would your head end up??

Those are my profound words for today. I hope they help.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry for the loss of your Auntie, LMN.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
For the love of God, give the poor guy some space. What if he ever stops short? Where would your head end up??

I think that may be among the finest advice I have ever received...and yes, it would not be pretty.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, more tests later this week.

I'm sorry about your aunt's passing too, LMN, how blessed she was to have you and your sister there.

Thanks for the prayers, Greet, and the reminder to take care of myself along the way.

Today my purpose will be to walk a new trail my neighbour invited me to explore, she loves walking too, and to give that poor guy some space, like LMN suggested.

Hugs to all of you.