Spider Bites

Old 09-08-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spider Bites

I am genuinely puzzled. I've known two people who I can state I know are addicted or prescription drugs. BOTH have had serious skin conditions that have ultimately been attributed to spider bites--brown recluse, to be specific. Let me say that this type of spider is NOT indigenous to the area in which either live! One of the people parlayed her supposed bites (rash beneath her nose, on her chin, and on her tongue!) into a 4 day hospital stay! Of course, she swears she got no painkillers while inpatient, only antibiotics (eye roll).

Has anyone else noted this phenomenon? Can anyone think of why this would occur? Neither are iV drug users, just pills. Neither ever found the actual "spider" that bit them. I'm skeptical, but I also don't know what would have caused the skin irritation.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

It sounds like an allergic reaction?!?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To the drugs? I wondered. I work in an ER (not in the clinical area) and have seen others come in with this diagnosis. Spiders don't bite that often, do they?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

snorting up some serious "bathtub" dope.......
Old 09-08-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
snorting up some serious "bathtub" dope.......
What does that mean? I don't understand.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

meaning the toxic deadly POISONS that are the base of so much of the dope these days....
Old 09-09-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know at my job at a rehab facility many of our clients who use meth get that..
Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get what, Dogged? Sorry--just very confused.

I can't picture either of these people snorting drugs. I know--how very codependent of me...
Old 09-09-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I have worked in infectious disease and emergency room....I have seen recluse spider bites with the very serious aftermath that they can bring.....and, have not seen the kind of presentation that you describe......

dandylion
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Does it matter what the reason is?
Spider bites cause infections … skin infections can look like spider bites. Either way protocol would be treatment with antibiotics. I would think the hospital would at least look for a presence of some infection with the way they are with giving antibiotics out to begin with.

Rash central from heroin and pill use …
My husband has had folliculitis, staph, and has been bit by a spider, 2 times, the nature of his position kinda put him at risk there. All of which caused symptoms that would be classified as an infection requiring care. Was it the drug use? Surely that didn’t help but anything compromising your immune system can set bacterial to flourish. Another friend, in her heyday of oxy use had shingles for months on her face and head. I tend to think she caught the virus and couldn’t normally fight it off as she would have if she was taking care of herself and not using. It all tends to make sense to me.

And the brown recluse, well a woman died in MI after being bitten by one this summer.

Now as you read what I wrote surely there is still no sense to be found, because this isn’t yours to make sense of.

Is one of these people your close friend you are having trouble detaching from?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, IncitingSilence, one of them is my friend. And yes, I'm stil having trouble detaching.
I start each day saying I'm going to be reasonable and do what I know is necessary not to make this my problem, but then I start thinking...maybe I can help. Maybe I can convince SOMEONE close to her that this is all just too unreal to believe and that none of it makes sense!
Her excuse for not coming to work again today was that she is exhausted and can hardly get out of bed...says her doctor told her that the reason for this is because she had bad brain trauma from the ENCEPHALITIS caused by the spider bite poison...
She has people believing all of this!!
Yet she was ok to attend a wedding 3 hours out of town last weekend...but hasn't worked for 2 weeks...
I just can't stand the stupidity of it all!

Yes--I know I have a problem...
Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

but it's HER life. and it HAS been.

what's wrong with your own life that hers is so much more fascinating and compelling? it's almost as if you are living vicariously thru her and dipping your toe into the sick and seedy side of life............
Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

I'm no doctor but it sounds like your friend has a chronic case of fibber syndrome brought on by drugs and or alcohol. In other words she is not being honest about it being a spider bite.
People DIE from encephalitis and if they make it, have severe brain injury/retardation. No doctor or hospital would release her. She must have done some research on the internet and thought she had her facts straight...
Why would you entertain someone like this? Focus on YOU and your sobriety.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not living through her. She is my best friend--and has been for almost 40 years. She is considered a member of my large, extended family. And most of the time, I'm considered one of her family.

My life is good. I have a couple of great kids. I travel, have outside interests, and in general, am pretty happy with things.

But I am terrified for my friend. I know it would be easier to understand if she were my spouse or something. People, and us, at times, have joked that we are like that. Does that help you to understand better? So no--I'm not living vicariously, I'm trying to show that I care.

I know--there is a very little chance that anything I do or say will be effective. But I still feel the need to try--and I recognize the futility.

But the last 2 sentences of your reply indicate a level of disdain and dismissiveness that I really don't appreciate, Anvil. I've admired a lot of your posts and responses to others. I'm sorry that you think I'm doing this for some "sick" reason of my own. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

After I had my children my body chemistry changed. I have an allergic reaction to TONS of stuff that does some strange things to my body. I had a surgery late last year and took about two days worth of painpills. All of a sudden my lips got big and itchy, my legs broke out all over, and I had to be checked to make sure I did not have shingles b/c I had hives on my waist. Come to find out, lots of pills give people an allergic reaction. Sometimes it is not super severe. I am not a pill taker, but have had reactions many times. It's not always to pills in the painpill class either as I don't like taking those and only did so b/c I had surgery.

Just throwing this out there. I was not aware but many people have a change of body chemistry according to my dermatologist and doctor when they are pregnant. It's not a good thing, that is for sure.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is it that you need someone else to see her truth? Because the more I read it does seem so, that you just wish someone else would see the truth you see.

I am sure that this hard since you have been friends for so long. My best friend is out of her mind. It is extremely heartbreaking to watch, and I wouldn’t be able to if I didn’t have strong boundaries including ones that keep me out of what isn’t mine.

I know Anvil upset you, but she seems like she is a distraction and takes up a lot of space in your head.
Can you honestly say that the focus on her isn’t some distraction to not see your own truth? Tough question that everyone here in time will have to answer for themselves as it pertains to the addict in their life.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My kids have gone through this...mostly my son. Each kid has said "spider bites" which the physician has said staph infection on both. My best friend, a nurse practitioner, stated that unless the spider is found that nearly all of them are staph infections.

It starts off appearing as a bite-looking mark but quickly becomes more serious....like within hours/overnight. They both now know it's staph but at the beginning thought it was a spider. Some continue with the idea of the spider bite because of the embarrassment.

My son is in recovery but has a history of synthetic marijuana and meth. I am guessing that it has something to do with their immune system being tested!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

IncitingSilence--yes--it is the need for someone else to see the truth that drives me. Which is ridiculous, because all of MY family sees the truth as it is. They're just better at detaching from the situation.

So I guess my thing is--I want HER to see the truth. We have been so close and friends for so long and agree on so many things, that I can't imagine that she can't see this truth.

Thank you for putting this in such a way that I can appreciate your caring and response. Yes, I know I need to detach. I'm trying...I really am. I am more at peace today after spending my 25 minute commute home last night talking to God--admitting my faults and weaknesses and praying about this. I need to keep doing that.

To all of the rest of you--thank you for your responses. I've read and appreciated each one. I can see how a compromised immune system would lead to something like this.

On with the rest of my day...again, thank you.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

But she does know her truth. If you can view it that way and accept that she is an addict, and it is ok because it is her life to live as she wishes, that will go a long way for you.

I am sure she is hoping that she can fend off anyone else knowing. Addicts aren’t unaware and use denial quite well. That next hit/fix is just too easy to take when you aren’t ready to accept your own truth. When you have an endless supply of excuses in your head to use to justify. Or an endless array of situations you can get yourself into, to use as an excuse.

Remember addiction isn’t rational, nor doesn’t play by rules or conform. It is insanity, pure and simple. Many really like the insanity, in the using. I know I sure did

Take care
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Pick up a copy of co-dependent no more.