For qwer1234: Codpendency & Love Addiction

Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For qwer1234: Codpendency & Love Addiction

Hi qwer123

This may help you understand some. While all may not apply it does hit some really key points.

Happy Reading!

CoDependency & Love Addiction
Mary Ellen O'Leary, MA, LPCC

Codependency and Love Addiction

The Core Problem of Codependency is a bruised relationship with oneself.

5 Core Symptoms of Codependency

Difficulty loving the self (self esteem)
Difficulty protecting oneself by functional boundaries with others.
Difficulty knowing one’s reality and owning it.
Difficulty with self-care.
Difficulty expressing one’s reality in moderation.

5 Secondary Symptoms of Codependency

Negative control: controlling others or allowing others to control them. Both choices cause a codependent to project responsibility on to others for their own inability to be internally comfortable within themselves.
Resentment: Blaming others for the inability to protect themselves with healthy boundaries.
Impaired spirituality: Makes someone else their Higher Power through hate, fear, or worship. Or tries to be someone else's Higher Power.
Addictions, or mental illness or physical illness. This inability to face reality stems from lack of functional internal sense of self and sense of adequacy. There is a desire to be taken care of.
Difficulty with intimacy. When a codependent has difficulty knowing who s/he is, and what her reality is, s/he cannot share in a healthy way since intimacy means sharing one’s reality. When one does not share, there is no way to check out immature perceptions, so codependent continues to have painful problems in relationship with others. Codependents often try to fix or change a partner, justify themselves, argue about the other person’s reality, abuse the partner with sarcasm, ridicule, name calling, exaggeration, or so-called “honesty”.

How Love Addict is More Than Codependent

Love Addict has difficulty with symptoms of codependency, then chooses addictive behaviors and internal process to compensate. A Love Addict seeks to enmesh, to blend into another person. Underneath all of this is both a fear of abandonment and a fear of healthy intimacy, even if they pretend to look for it.

When codependent corrects behavior, they can manage their life. But Love Addict goes through severe withdrawal. ” Love Addiction like other addictive processes is an obsessive-compulsive process used to relieve or medicate intolerable reality.”

Abandonment and Difficulty Connecting

Love Addicts did not bond well with their original caregivers when they were young children, experiencing a serious sense of abandonment. The message was, “Because you are worthless and unlovable, I will not care for you”.

This kind of neglect and early loss creates low self-esteem and exaggerated longing. Emotional needs are immense. Love Addicts have enormous fear about being able to connect emotionally.

The Addictive High of Fantasy

Love Addicts compensated for lack of nurturing as children by immersing themselves in fantasy. Fantasies of being rescued or being the rescuer abound. Knights, dragons, romance novels- getting high from fantasy becomes habit.

When a Love Addict plays with fantasy, they can get high in about 10 minutes, and stay there for 2-3 hours. Endorphins are released into their system, relieving emotional pain.

Love Addicts begin relationships by trying too hard to please and connect. They are driven to find someone to tell them they are loveable and loved; to find someone who will rescue them from their inability to care for themselves; rescue them from their loneliness, emptiness, lack of self-love, inability to feel safe in the world without someone to protect them. They look for a relationship to make them feel whole.

3 Characteristics of Love Addict

Disproportionate amount of time and attention is spent on relationships.
Love Addicts obsessively think about, want to be with, touch, talk to, and listen to their partners. They rate this person as superior to themselves, or having more power. They make this person their Higher Power, but rarely know this is happening.
Unrealistic expectations for unconditional positive regard from other person.
Love Addicts want to be cared for and treasured by another, and are always disappointed. No one can satisfy their insatiable desires. They will go to great lengths to get partners to fulfill the big fantasy they have been holding in their minds for so long. They get very angry when their fantasy isn’t matched.
Neglect to care for or value self while in relationship. – even if they can fare perfectly well when alone. A common example is a man who never learns to do basic household things, preferring to depend on his partner.

Love Addicts are often attracted to Avoidance Addicts

Avoidance Addicts are not available for a relationship even if they pretend to be. They are often focused on addictions such as drug and alcohol use, work, or sexual affairs.

How can a Love Addict expect one who is avoiding intimacy to take care of them?

Repeating Cycle of Love Addicts in Relationship

First the Love Addict is attracted to the power and adulation of the Avoidance Addict (or another Love Addict).
Fantasy is triggered and the Love Addict feels high. "It's karma, destiny, fate, we're soulmates."
The Love Addict feels relief from the pain of loneliness, emptiness and not mattering.
The Love Addict begins to enmesh with the partner, showing more neediness. Partner starts to move away, but Love Addict denies the reality of being abandoned by partner. This denial protects against the agony of rejection and abandonment.
Eventually the Love Addict begins to be aware of the abandonment, and denial crumbles. May rage and get hysterical; may bargain, threaten. Extreme focus on partner; must know or think about what partner is doing at all times. Some will stalk, or obsessively call or text message. Others endure like silent martyrs. May call partner's boss, announce to others to gain sympathy. May dress more seductively, go on vacation with partner, have affairs, showing extreme neediness to lure partner back. Relationship becomes more and more toxic.
Love Addict enters withdrawal. (Avoidance Addict fares better – just leaves). Love Addict’s original feelings of childhood are activated along with adult feelings of current abandonment. Pain, fear, anger, jealousy, emptiness, overwhelm, hopelessness. Extremely intense depression and suicidal feelings. Fear becomes anxiety and panic. Anger becomes frustration, rage, or homicidal jealousy. As a result of this loss, the Love addict may also face loss of income, house, being a single parent. Love Addict may be so overwhelmed that s/he goes into withdrawal or jumps to next point in cycle, obsession. This behavior shifts them outside of their painful feelings.
Love Addict now obsesses how to get the Avoidance Addict to return; or dreams about being rescued; or fantasizes about having a better lover; or ruminates how to get even with the Avoidance Addict partner; or contemplates indulging in another addiction like food or drugs to numb the pain; or plans another sexual encounter with a new partner to avoid being alone.
Love Addict now compulsively acts out the obsessive plans. Get drugs, food at 2am. Burn partner’s clothes. Go and beg partner to return, threaten suicide. Take overdose of pills. Kill partner, children and self. Go get laid.
Repeat cycle either with the returning partner or the ensnared new partner.

Progressive Stages of Love Addiction are Similar to Other Addiction Patterns

Increasing tolerance of inappropriate behavior from others
“Well he only hit me 3 times and I didn’t get many bruises.”
“She was only out once overnight this week.”
" I only threw the telephone.”
Greater Dependence
Surrender more and more responsibility to the other party.
Have them handle papers, make appointments, pick up children because “I just can’t remember”
Decrease In Self Care: Grooming declines, baggy clothes, disheveled look.
Numbness To Feelings. “I’m ok, fine” But they’re feeling pain, anger, fear, shame, jealously
Feeling Trapped or Stuck
Helpless to fix the relationship.
Helpless to escape pain by ending relationship.
Lost the ability to care for and value self.
Increasing despair, disillusionment, depression.
Loss of power, Loss of ability to respond.
Behavior can become bizarre.

The Final Stages
Feeling abused and becoming abusive.
Can only see out of a negative filter, missing the good things in partner.
Cannot see own immature irrational offensive behavior.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For qwer

Incitingsilence,

Thank you so much for all the information.

I'm divorced from an A. For about 10 years I worked hard at getting him sober.....and I can see how I got addicted to drama, attempts at control, and the continual power struggle.

I suppose I see a bit of that now, except my son does not live at home. Still almost EVERY conversation with his father (exAh) is about son.

Nar-Anon is helping me center my thoughts and let go (or at least I keep telling myself that!)

qwer
Old 08-29-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You’re welcome.

Nar-Anon has helped many, keep prodding along. Letting go is very important, as is finding acceptance. There is no control from the outside. But he sure as hell is capable and able to help himself and will when he is ready.

Avoid enabling, avoid helping and any need to fix and it will go a long way in keeping his addiction, his.

And take good care of YOU!