Thank you for the support this forum offers

Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support this forum offers

Last night, emotionally distraught and searching for information and answers, I was lucky enough to stumble across The Sober Recovery Forum. And I'm truly overwhelmed with gratitude in the difference it has made to my attitude, approach, and outlook. What a difference just one day can make.

When I posted last night, I felt hopeless, abandoned, confused and heartbroken. The day before finding this forum, the recovering addict who I reconnected with after 17 years ended our relationship and friendship. He is in the early stages of recovery with about 8 months clean from heroin. When I knew this person 17 yrs ago, addiction had yet to take over his mind, body and soul. I really felt as if we were soul mates, star crossed lovers, etc and that is why the universe reintroduced us 17 yrs later. While I'm still battling with losing the idea of the hope and excitement behind that fantasy, and I feel so lucky to have never known him in active addiction, I know now that our parting and him ending things was really a gift from God and a platform for which I could finally start to work on myself and grow as a person. My life has been affected by addiction at every level and even took my only sibling 8 years ago from an overdose on OxyContin. Because of this, I have developed a very unhealthy approach to life and to my own well being.
I'm still very saddened by the fact that I will probably never hear from or see him again. The feeling of loss is unbelievable and has triggered a recollection of sadness that I think at some level will be part of my story. But it has also given me the feeling of a fresh start. I started attending Nar-Anon meetings on my own when I reconnected with this person as a tool to aid him in his recovery process. I now see that they are a tool for my recovery, growth, serenity and internal happiness. The information and stories on SR have done wonders for my mental state and I commend all of those who have been brave enough to share their stories here and I am especially grateful for those who could feel my pain and responded to my last nights post. While I'm still in pain, and know that my recovery may be painful for quite some time- SR and it's members have given my the strength to push forward. I am forever grateful
Old 08-16-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group! Dont give up!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Always stay connected to SR - it's a great source for strength and wisdom - it changed my life!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amysad View Post
Always stay connected to SR - it's a great source for strength and wisdom - it changed my life!
.....me,too!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to have you aboard smc92va

D
Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I came here broken and lost 12 years ago when we were much smaller here (maybe 1000 members) and even then it was exactly what I needed to help me regain my balance and work on my recovery along with my CoDA meetings.

I too am grateful for all who went before me here and for all who have come after me...you each have been instrumental in helping me stay on a good path and never feeling alone.

SMC, I am so glad you are here, each new member brings their own courage and strength and together we walk this path.

Hugs