Just called the ambulance to her

Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just called the ambulance to her

Suicide threat and taken pills. Praying types please pray.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers go out for your sister, it is good that you called an ambulance and I pray for her to be okay.

My prayers go out for you too, it breaks our hearts to watch our loved ones self-destruct.

Maybe this will be a turning point for her. Hopefully the hospital will help her arrange counseling and support of some kind.

Hugs from my heart to yours.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Will be thinking of both of you this afternoon. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you.

Last time I called them it was a bust but she's actually taken pills now and told them what it is, I told them she was on a valium withdrawal so praying it'll be better.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Now may be a good time to ask them to keep her 72 hours and assess her mental situation. Not sure if you can do that where you live, but here if they are in danger of hurting themselves or others they can be held for that period of time.

The reason I suggest this is that it will give her a chance to connect with professionals who may be able to continue helping her once she leaves.

Simply reviving her and sending her home is a poor solution. Attempted suicide is a call for help, I hope the professionals are listening.

Continued prayers going out. Please let us know how she is doing.

Hugs
Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Now may be a good time to ask them to keep her 72 hours and assess her mental situation. Not sure if you can do that where you live, but here if they are in danger of hurting themselves or others they can be held for that period of time.

The reason I suggest this is that it will give her a chance to connect with professionals who may be able to continue helping her once she leaves.

Simply reviving her and sending her home is a poor solution. Attempted suicide is a call for help, I hope the professionals are listening.

Continued prayers going out. Please let us know how she is doing.

Hugs
This time my parents will be informed so they'll probably head up there and provide/ask for more support for her. I hope.

Last time she threatened suicide but hadn't taken pills so because the NHS MH teams don't see users they discharged her at 2am - that was two weeks ago today. She's just got to the hospital, I was on the phone to her when they were at her flat and she threw it down without hanging up so I know they know what she normally takes and the pills she's taken today.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Parents are on the way there, Dad said he'd called her asap when the police called them and she sounded totally out of it - which might mean they won't just brush her off. Think they're holding it together. They're quite detached so think it was a shock to them.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Prayers out for your parents too. I'm a mother of an addicted adult son and I truly know their pain.

Hugs
Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are all in my prayers. I do hope she stays there long enough to get some assessment and resources. Take care.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. At least if my parents are there they won't let her go back to her flat alone if she is discharged so the worry for tonight is sort of over for me (but not them).
Old 07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

So glad you started posting here, before this happened..you are not alone.
Your family in my prayers.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
So glad you started posting here, before this happened..you are not alone.
Your family in my prayers.
Me too! Can't imagine I'd have made it through another one along without seriously breaking down over it. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Praying for all of your family
Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Update2:

She's asleep (likely from all the meds) and they're waiting on blood test and ECG results back. My parents are there but I don't know how they're doing but my sister hasn't been moved to a high-care area. Hoping if they try to discharge her my parents will fight it or take her back to their house.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Praying for all involved. So so sorry.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Hovering, watching out for a pack member.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Update 3:

Parents have gone home after speaking to the doctor, not sure what they spoke about but yes. She's being assessed by the hospital mental health team tomorrow - last time it was the out of hours duty team so not sure if they'll come to different conclusion or anything. Worst comes to worst I'm hoping she'll go home with my parents tomorrow - I know detachment is important for addicts but equally so is them not being left alone to kill themselves. Plus she can't get drugs at their house as they live in a rural village and as she only took prescription meds I'm guessing her 3-5 day withdrawals from the illegal stuff still counts.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi scared, so sorry you are dealing with such a scary situation. Luckily she was found and taken to the hospital. Not sure how it works where you are but here they go to ICU, are monitored via whatever poison control dictates and then are transferred to a facility for mental health. I cannot imagine anyone just allowing her to leave after a suicide attempt. Maybe last time it was because she had not actually ingested the medication. At the very least they should be doing an evaluation. If not, your parents should request it.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Will be praying for all of you. Thanks for keeping us updated. We all care.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you

Yeah here a&e often discharge people after suicide attempts because they don't have the beds or resources or other people need it more. It's a sucky situation and so often in the news you hear of people being discharged and then walking out of a&e and straight off a building. She'll be assessed tomorrow but as a rule the NHS MH teams don't work with users as the drugs confound and complicate the issues they have and there aren't places which work with both issues except in certain areas. However hoping that they'll see she does desperately need the MH help sort of more than she needs addiction help. Especially as she took the overdose and I called an ambulance for her two weeks ago today after she threatened this. We can only pray.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Our local hospital now has an MH department because there is so much of it and we are a,small community hospital, not a big city.
I realize the addiction plays a part but suicide attempts need to be evaluated. Period. I will keep your sister in my prayers.