Niece in danger

Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Niece in danger

Hello everyone,
I am so lost that I don't know where to begin. My sister is 38 and has a 1 year old little girl. This is my only sibling and only niece. My sister is addicted to pain killers and xanax. Recently she has done meth. The last rage she had was really bad. My niece is always in the middle and has now become terrified of loud voices and does not want her mom or dad to hold her, because of all of the fighting

The baby's father is also an addict and has mental issues. I have called the police 2 times and they were called once by neighbors. I have also called Child Welfare. While my sister and her boyfriend were hitting on each other with my niece in her arms I took my niece from her. I put her in my car with my daughter and called 911. I waited for 25 minutes for 1 officer to show up. During that time they turned on me and said I was kidnapping their daughter. They beat on my car, my sister hit me and the boyfriend came after me with a brick.
The officer finally arrived and the boyfriend ran and hid. My sister and niece was made to leave with me and I brought them an hour away to my moms house. The boyfriend slept in the woods in a tree hiding out from the police.

After beings at my moms for 1 week and trying everything we could to get her into a detox/rehab program she left to go back to the boyfriend. I was informed by the boyfriend that I will never see my niece again because I am a bad influence and tried to kidnap her. He threatened to kill me, took an ad out on Craigslist offering sex and gave my phone number and threw away everything I ever bought my niece.
I am so scared and angry because I don't know where to go from here. They live about 45 minutes from me, they have no car and no job. I know they are still abusing pain pills and I am scared for my nieces safety.

I contacted Child welfare again and was asked if I though it was a good idea to file another report and should look for a better way to express my concern to my sister.

Please give me some advice on what I should do. My husband wants me to completely leave them alone because it is causing so many problems but how can I turn my back on a baby.
Thank you for reading
Angie
Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Welcome to the Board, Angie. I am so, so sorry that you're going through this, but I'm also very thankful that you found us.

Others will be by to greet you and to offer you support and encouragement. For now, I'd like to offer my $0.02.

If a baby was not in the picture, I would agree with your husband. From what you describe, your AS and her ABF sound like a nasty little couple on the highway to hell. The only way your sister will get off the highway is if she chooses to, and then follows that decisions with a firm course of action. Clearly, she's not there, and for all intents and purposes, you need to assume that she's not going to make that choice any time soon. She is beyond your help.

As far as your niece goes, I'm not familiar enough with child endangerment laws to give you intelligent feedback. Obviously, something needs to be done to protect your niece within the parameters of the law, and I support you doing something. What that is, I don't know. The good news for you is our membership has a lot of knowledge and experience with situations like this. When they provide you feedback, pay very close attention and make sure your husband is in the loop on this.

Again, Welcome to the Board. And please, be safe...and be smart.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the encouraging words.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is SO much harder when a baby is involved. Bless your heart for looking out for her. I am sorry you are going through this!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't say what exactly to do as I've not been in the situation (yet, one of my qualifiers has a baby on the way ) but I think you're right to be contacting child welfare. If one representative said "you handle it" I think I would call again and talk to someone else. I would mention that the last time you followed their advice you were physically attacked and the child was put in greater danger.

I'm appalled that they would respond in that way. Are they even investigating the first report? Meth is a scary drug - my cousin that was addicted to meth had her three children taken away, unfortunately not before two of them were extremely abused.

I would stop trying to get the sister any help, she has to decide that for herself, and for your own protection it sounds like it's better to stay far away from the toxic couple. I'm sorry you're in this position, I too am trying to come up with a plan to handle the arriving baby should a need arise.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
One more thing...

From the way you describe your AS's boyfriend, I suspect there are significant mental health issues with him in addition to his addiction issues. His behavior, to me, reeks of someone with a character disorder. Do not, I repeat, do not attempt to engage him under any circumstances. If he should show up at your home, call 911 immediately.

Do not f**k around with this one.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board. Threatening a life and slander especially online are a federal offense. Look up the case of Clay Waller in MO who killed his wife, Jacque Waller. He made the mistake after to make threats online and slander her sister and is in federal prison for that. Definitely make police reports about this and push hard for federal charges to be filed. If you can get the boyfriend put in jail that would be a good start.

I personally would stay on DCF every single day and the police to see what they are doing about this baby. Good for you to be an advocate for her.

Hugs. It has to be so hard. I will pray for all involved.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the great advice. It is so hard knowing my niece has to go through this.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At this point, it sounds like you are risking your safety by being around them.

I think that you should continue contacting child welfare....

In my area, they would have taken the child away from two active drug users.