Son in IOP - Don't know how to feel

Old 06-21-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son in IOP - Don't know how to feel

My 23 yo son is back for a second round of IOP. He asked to go, which is an improvement. A year ago, he successfully his first IOP and was put on suboxone as well. Flash forward a year, and there was a relapsed that became active addiction again. I noticed the signs and was very upfront with him that I saw him going down the wrong path again. I worry and I said you are still insured. It's up to you to take advantage of the resources. Of course, I would prefer inpatient but that's hard to get into…therapist and insurance say you have to fail 2x at IOP to be considered even though my insurance will pay 90% if referred by counseling??

He just went through induction on Monday and he seems more organized and calm about the whole thing. He started the group session on Tuesdays and he says it's going well. I still feel uneasy. I need to learn to let go! He also has to attend the 2 NA meetings. I told him I won't be the one running all the time trying to help him get all this done. It's up to him, but I do worry because if he relapses again I don't think I can take it anymore. I guess I'm afraid I would have to really ask him to leave and that hurts my heart tremendously

Any advice, words of wisdom, etc. would be really appreciated.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Well, I can't tell you how to feel but I think I would feel relieved, hopeful, grateful and just plain happy that he is taking this step towards rebuilding his recovery plan.

It is not unusual for addicts to relapse several times before they grasp long term recovery. The important thing is that they keep trying. It's not that different for us, we know what we need to do but actually doing it can be harder than it looks.

Why not embrace today and enjoy the sunshine and peace and beauty, grab some fresh air and just feel the joy.

Hugs
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad that he has gone back to treatment. It sounds hopeful, even though you have been through this with him, at least he is going back for help.

If you can, remember the Serenity prayer and give it over to his HP... Let go, and focus on taking care of you. I feel like its gonna go better this time

hugs.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((lotusangel))))) I know how scary it is and how hard it is not to worry but focusing on the good will help.
He made this decision on his own and has made the effort himself to do IOP. That in itself is great news. I think with every effort they learn more and hopefully the chance of relapse lessons. He is trying and right now you can be very thankful for that.
I had to learn to give all my worries over my son over to God because I just can't worry anymore. It took over my life and was slowly killing me.
Have you read "Codependent NO More" by Melanie Beattie? I found this book very helpful.
I wish your son the best in his recovery program.