Almost made me laugh out loud, or cry

Old 06-08-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost made me laugh out loud, or cry

Yesterday my bf got upset because I wouldn't loan him money to buy a tool for a job he was working on. I also moved money around our joint accounts because he had overdrawn one, resulting in all three accounts having less than $5 in them. He told me to stop trying to fix things (duh, that's what I do, ya know that!) and I told him, don't you worry, I'm working on me (progress is slower than I would like, but I am making progress!), it was a mistake but hey, I'm on the account too, I'm liable. He said how 'bout he removes me from the account. I said sure thing, and I tried to handle it myself but I guess we have to go to the bank together. And I think I called his bluff because now he's acting like he doesn't want me off the account because then it implies that we aren't building a life together anymore, that it would then be about him and me as opposed to "us." Huh. I think in most healthy relationships people retain their individual identities and have an "us" in addition. Not we lose ourselves into this blob of "us-ness." Right?!

Anyways, the real zinger came in the conversation about this whole situation. He actually literally said, right to my face, that he quit heroin for me, for our relationship!!! I really didn't know if I felt like crying, laughing, or who knows what. I mean, I can see people getting clean again, especially ones that have had some sobriety under their belt, because they don't want to lose everything they've worked so hard for, sure. Maybe everyone doesn't have to lose absolutely everything every time they relapse in order to get back on track. But for him to say that directly to me like that...ugg, it just felt so...so much like not a truth! Am I wrong here?

It took me years and years and years--probably until the last year or two quite truthfully--to actually completely understand that, when I was a child, there was absolutely nothing I could have done to stop my mom from using. Nothing. And that her using had nothing to do with me, and that her not stopping had nothing to do with me. It didn't matter how much she loved me, it was not because of me. Nothing I could have done would have changed anything. She and I had a conversation not a month before I started dating my bf in which I cried in front of her (I hate crying and especially in front of her) and told her that I had accepted that I couldn't have saved her when I was younger. She of course started crying and just said, "Finally!"

And to hear that sh*t, that line come out of his mouth...wow. I must be flipping magical! *sarcasm*
Old 06-08-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barefoottoday View Post
And to hear that sh*t, that line come out of his mouth...wow. I must be flipping magical! *sarcasm*
Lol, can you give the rest of us the spell?? Ha!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha OMG, mejo, I've been walking around for the last two hours imagining myself on an infomercial, or walking into meetings like, hey, I've got this guys. I can heal heroin addiction! It's true, look at my bf! Look how amazing, we figured it ALL OUT in like the last two months! Hahaha. I'm just so so awesome that my bf was like, psshhh, forget what I said about that h being the best thing ever, it's you baby!

I mean, it's not funny but...it actually is!

Sometimes I forget how good it feels to laugh!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Gee, I hadn't heard the "I need money to buy tools for the job" line in a while, but I heard it often years ago.

I swear, they have a book of scams that they all use to con us out of money for drugs.

Laugh if you want to, it hurts less than crying and keeps our eyes from getting puffy.

Hugs
Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seriously, you would be a freaking zillonare!!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Haha, Ann I think you are right, there is some secret text somewhere they all read from!

Mejo, yes, I'd have the world in my hands! I might even get a religion named after me! Gosh, that sounds so bad!!!

Laughing is so much better than crying, I want to take a break from that for a bit. I'm glad I can make bad jokes with people who get it. I'm so glad I found this place.