Torn between what to do

Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Torn between what to do

Joined the forums hoping to gain some insight and maybe get some advice on a current situation. I want to act properly on it and figured a place where people understand it completely would be the best place to start.

It has become very known that a co-worker of mine has been abusing drugs when working. I do consider him a friend as he is a good kid and will stick up for you but the drug use has gotten out of hand. It seems to have been progressing for while getting worse each time. A couple days ago it was the worst that it had ever been. He was completely out of it, occasionally feeling sick, running around like crazy but getting nothing done. He ended up having 2 really extreme bloody noses during the evening. The second one he stepped away until it stopped but seemed to be so out of it that when he came back he didn't even notice or seem bothered that there was blood yet all over his face or the fact that he left a mighty trail of it all over the workplace. He was also drenched in sweat which he is almost every day. By the end of the shift he was running all over the place and bumping into things, slurring his speech, and so on. I honestly left that shift annoyed with him but more disturbed and scared for him.

The issue at work is the fact that his performance has significantly gone downhill. He used to be an awesome worker, always willing to stay, to do the job to 110% perfection. Now, he ignores most of what is to be done, is eager to leave early or asks to leave early. Despite always asking other co-workers if he can "borrow" money. He also has a little baby that he is supposed to help support. But just simply doesn't care.

All other co-workers are very aware he is on drugs when he is at work. And are growing tired of his antics. Our manager also believes he is as well but has done nothing. I am debating taking this up to a higher up manager before taking it to HR because I am worried about what will happen.

The main problem being is that I see something happening. Either he will end up hurting himself, other co-workers, or simply other people around. (the job involves working with heavy power equipment.) The other day a co-worker did end up getting injured. Nothing major but still left them with pain that will last for a few days. During the incident the co-worker on drugs didn't seem to even realize what had happened or seem phased by the pain they just caused. They just carried on in their own world. The injured co-worker reported it to their supervisor at the time but it seemed to go no where.

I have tried talking to this co-worker about his drug usage in a non-confrontational manner. Just simply asking him about it. He tried saying that all he does is marijuana, but this is more than that. He also said he doesn't drink anymore since being locked up for a DUI. But this is so much more than weed use.

I don't want to throw him under the bus but I am concerned greatly after the other day that something will end up happening. I am also concerned for his own life. He looked like death, honestly, and I cannot get that image out of my head.

My question is do I go ahead and go to upper management about the issue and/or maybe HR. Or do I just let it keep going on and let whatever happens, happen?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

In my experience HR are more for the employer than the employee but it certainly cannot hurt to involve them, I hope you can find a resolution that benefits all parties here.
Good luck.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Zero, I suggest you put a complaint in writing to your immediate supervisor (email if you can) and copy to HR. I'd go further any say it's your duty, but I don't know what conditions you work under. Does your employer have D&A testing?
If this guy is endangering others, it could result in injury to him or his co-workers.
If nothing comes of your complaint you may have to go to upper management, but it shouldn't be reliant on you to do that.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Zero, and welcome. I work in retail, and my experience is that if someone is obviously doing drugs, the company will give them a choice of getting help before they fire them.

It sounds like there is a real chance of someone getting hurt. If you are responsible for this guys performance, as in, his direct supervisor, you would have the right to take this up with upper management. Others lives are in jeopardy, right?

If he gets totally out of it, would it not be wise to call 911? He may be getting close to really hurting his self, as in od'ing? I don't know much about drug use and its effects and when it is necessary to call 911, but it sounds like he is really in danger, as well as those he works with. very sad.

I am sure others here will be along to help with their experience. I'm glad you care enough about this fellow to try to help.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses. I am not his supervisor, just a co-worker/friend. I used to think a lot of him but he has gone down the wrong path and I am scared for himself & those around him. Especially, after the other day.

I decided I will try one last time to talk to him on our next shift but if nothing comes of it, I will be going higher above management.Come monday, I have a feeling I will be talking to upper management. I don't want to be a "snitch" but I just know/have a feeling something will happen.

I hadn't thought of calling 911 before honestly, maybe I should have the other night. Maybe this is the best route to take.
If I call 911 and they send an ambulance will they take him if he refuses? If they can see he something is not right physically, can they take him despite his protest?

I don't want to hurt him, I want to help him. But am lost as to what to do. I recently went broke trying to help a friend of his. His friend went to rehab and is doing good but he is not. (Really don't know the friend I helped but said I would, so I did) My co-worker said he doesn't think his friend will ever change yet never admits the same. It's frustrating.

I lost a brother to this lifestyle, that's why it's personal for me. I want to do what's right but I am afraid of hurting. I want to help but I am afraid of making it worse.

But in the end knowing the pain physically & emotionally I don't want anyone else to suffer from their actions.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=ZeroAM;4703658]Thank you for the responses. I am not his supervisor, just a co-worker/friend. I used to think a lot of him but he has gone down the wrong path and I am scared for himself & those around him. Especially, after the other day.

I decided I will try one last time to talk to him on our next shift but if nothing comes of it, I will be going higher above management.Come monday, I have a feeling I will be talking to upper management. I don't want to be a "snitch" but I just know/have a feeling something will happen.

I hadn't thought of calling 911 before honestly, maybe I should have the other night. Maybe this is the best route to take.
If I call 911 and they send an ambulance will they take him if he refuses? If they can see he something is not right physically, can they take him despite his protest?

That's a good question, and I hope someone here who has more experience will chime in with some good thoughts on it. I know what you mean.. you do not want to do harm , either. There are a lot of people here who know more about this than I do.
I hope things work out.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
My question is do I go ahead and go to upper management about the issue and/or maybe HR. Or do I just let it keep going on and let whatever happens, happen?
Personally, I would speak with someone in HR first and let HR deal with management. HR earns their money when situations like this come up. There are likely protocols in place for situations like this. So, in my view, your appropriate course of action is to speak with HR and then stand aside.

If I were to guess, your coworker will be given a chance to clean up his act. But if he blows that chance, he and he alone will have to face the consequences.

ZoSo
Old 06-08-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
One more point.

Management will have to involve HR anyways, so it really makes sense to speak with HR first so they can dictate how to proceed with your coworker.

ZoSo