I'm Turnkey and I'm New

Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Turnkey and I'm New

Hi i want to do something for me. Ive been in 2 consecutive relationships where both my partners were alcoholics and heavy cannabis users. I 'tick alot of the boxes" for co dependant behaviours.
Raging, obsessiveness, ungratified sex and the list goes on. I had what I believe to be a good upbringing. Somewhere along the way, I missed something and went off track.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome, Turnkey. Regardless of our relationship (my active addict is my son) we often wonder "how did I get in this mess and how do I get out?".

Something in us fails to let us know that we are making bad choices. As we work on our recovery we learn to take better care of ourselves and live life in a healthy, balanced way.

Meetings have helped many of us find our lifeline of recovery. CoDA, Nar-anon, Al-anon, and several other support groups have helped many of us find our way again and learn more about why we make bad choices...and how we can learn from them.

Glad you joined us here.

Hugs
Old 05-17-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Turnkey and welcome! You are in good company here!

I have had many codependent relationships, but my childhood was tainted with alcoholism in my parents. I too made many of the choices you have made.

A good book that helped me, was 'Codependent No More' by Melody Beatty. I recommend it to everyone, I think

I also went to some counselling. Al-anon meetings, and ACA(for adult children of alcoholics)

I think you will find a lot of help here, so keep posting. good for you, to want a better life
Old 05-17-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Turnkey welcome to sr