Listen, listen, listen

Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Listen, listen, listen

I've said my prayer for the day. I'm not even going to text,msg,or call to see where my boyfriends head is at today...we had an argument over money and he feels since he has lost everything he should just save his money, continue to work his program at home and tack on clean days....I have no problem with most of his plan but I do feel he should contribute to the household where he stays.... I was torn between an encouraging text or one that stated I know you get pd today, if you use we can not be or live together....it's hard finding the correct things to say...so I just listen....am I wrong?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think he should pay his way.

He's an adult, he needs to act like one IMO.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

what he is doing is called FREE LOADING. it's not your job to pay for the roof over his head, the electricty, water, garbage, cable, whatever while he gets to "save" HIS money. especially when it sounds like he pretty much saves it until he can get drugs......
Old 05-15-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
what he is doing is called FREE LOADING. it's not your job to pay for the roof over his head, the electricty, water, garbage, cable, whatever while he gets to "save" HIS money. especially when it sounds like he pretty much saves it until he can get drugs......
I agree 100%. This serves several purposes.
It helps with the making of amends.
It reinforces that adult behavior includes responsibility.
It takes some of the burden off of you. I am sure you were stuck with more than your fair share of bills when he was using.
It will give you some extra money to put away for an emergency.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dreadsgirl,

If he is staying with you, you have to decide your boundaries. If you are not willing to throw him out, for not helping financially, then it is better to detach, as you are doing.

If you are trying to keep him from using, though, that is futile. Keeping money out of his pocket probably wont make a difference, if he wants to use.

If you and he have any kind of working relationship, he should contribute, if he lives there. I assume he has a job, since he got paid? Or maybe he lost that job, since you said he says he has lost everything?

regardless, I think its good that you do not try to find where his head is at. Thats his job, to get his self well. You take care of you. And that means having boundaries.

best of luck to both of you.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would like to thank everyone who has responded..I definitely am coming to understand I can not control if he uses or not....but it is understood that behavior is unacceptable in my house....I have read countless post about people who have been supportive and help their addictive loved one..and those with the addiction have causes havoc.....I know only God can turn this situation around.....have a blessed day
Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He is a man and can pay his way in the world.
If that sounds too unfair, you can put diapers on him
and have him subject to your dictates---otherwise known
as CHILDHOOD.

YOUR money: Bills--- Shelter, food, transportation, medical, etc, etc, etc.
HIS money: dope.

Stare at those two statements for awhile.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by dreadsgirl View Post
I've said my prayer for the day. I'm not even going to text,msg,or call to see where my boyfriends head is at today...we had an argument over money and he feels since he has lost everything he should just save his money, continue to work his program at home and tack on clean days....I have no problem with most of his plan but I do feel he should contribute to the household where he stays.... I was torn between an encouraging text or one that stated I know you get pd today, if you use we can not be or live together....it's hard finding the correct things to say...so I just listen....am I wrong?

Totally agree with the others here, Bills come before thrills.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ahahaha vale that was the funniest thing I just read...I needed that