Big picture things that I have learned

Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big picture things that I have learned

1. Wow. Treating addiction is expensive. Even if you have health insurance from your employer that makes medical devices. Ironic, eh?
2. Even in a progressive state like Massachusetts that is the leader in medical services, a good psychiatrist that will take said health insurance is hard to find. Like in a 40 mile radius hard to find.
3. Not all rehabs are created equal. In patient, day program, step down, groups. All seem to have their own definition that could mean that each facilities version could be two totally different things.
4. OMG. Not all sober houses are created equal. At least the bed bugs running rampant in one particular house made it easy to detach with love. "Can't see you today Hun, don't want to give your new bug friends a new home." yikes!
5.My town has a billion AA meetings. A billion. And no alanon meetings. Not sure how to interpret that...but I have an idea. Double yikes.
6.Even though my addict has a huge impact on my family, I am persona non grata when it comes to getting info about said persons treatment. Unless your the billing office. Then you can tell me all about how much it costs and what forms of payment that you will accept.

So that being said. I can see that there are some glaring holes in our health care system for mental health and addiction treatment. Gaping holes in family support services, and a general lack of understanding of addiction in general.

I learn new things every day. How exciting...
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Chibi for itemizing these points, you are very right. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on treatment for my children, even though both have excellent insurance. An hour with one of my daughter's psychologists costs $130 and her health insurance pays about $45.00. I pay the rest. Fortunately, her current psychologist is good. What is disturbing is all of the money I have spent for professionals who did more damage than good. Such is addiction treatment.

I wish you all the best.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amen, Chibi!

It's just insane.

I have been trying to find an al-anon meeting for a long time. plenty of AA's though, as you pointed out.

Seems so mixed up. No common sense figures in anywhere.

thanks.. interesting post. but frustrating stuff.