Rehab bound {allegedly}

Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab bound {allegedly}

My grandson's dad is headed to rehab. He reached out to me last week and I provided information only (phone #'s to call). He sought out the places and met with the intake people until he decided on the best course of action for himself. The transport van is picking him up in an hour and he's headed to a place 3.5 hours away. I'm still not going to believe it until he's actually on the van! My daughter is looking forward to the "vacation" from him. I just hope he stays.

His parents (who live in another city), aren't 100% on board with his decision. I think they've been working against him. They consider themselves to be affluent, well-connected people who have an image to uphold. It's much easier for them to pay his rent, etc. and tell their friends he's living in another town to be with his son than admit the truth. I try not to judge because I don't know what I'd do if I were in their shoes but I don't understand putting your image over your child's life.

In the meantime, we've been to a lawyer and had some papers drawn up that say my daugther will not file for child support if the A will give up his parental rights. She's going to see how rehab goes before she asks him to sign it. I don't think he will but I don't know. To me, it's a sad thing to take away someone's parental rights but we have been through hell this last year and that baby needs to be as protected from all this as he can be. I am at the point where I know I've done everything I can and now it's time to let it go knowing I have zero control over the outcome. My actions over the last year have not always been the right ones but my motives have ALWAYS been to support and protect my daughter and grandson.

Thank you SR friends for always being here with kind words and hugs! This site has been the best resource for me as we've dealt with the addict.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I hope he does make it to rehab, it's a good start.

And I hope your daughter uses the time to make hard decisions about what is or is not okay in her life.

It's a good day MamaCas, any day an active addict decides it's time to go to rehab. What comes after is between him and God.

Hugs
Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

Originally Posted by MamaCas View Post
I am at the point where I know I've done everything I can and now it's time to let it go knowing I have zero control over the outcome.
This is such a very good place for you to be MamaCas. It is a really painful arena we have found ourselves in, especially when a little one is involved. I would like to encourage you to have hope. For a long time I wouldn't allow myself to be hopeful for my son's recovery. Fear of the outcome, of the future kept me from hoping….. I am at a good place in my recovery - detaching, accepting, self care - and I have become hopeful again. And I believe it's ok to be hopeful. No future tripping or banking my happiness on whether recovery works for him, or not. But I lift my son in prayer, take care of myself, and I'm hopeful - for both of us.

I am sending heartfelt caring and good thoughts to you and yours...
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He got on the van and has been in rehab about 4.5 hours. That's something...
Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

prayers for the best outcome for all.

hugs
chicory
Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good news, mama. Keeping him in my prayers.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Praying for all of you!

XXX