Bipolar?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bipolar?

My ah called his sister with his counseler from rehab and said he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I immediately think oh good more medication that he can abuse. How do they diagnose that after a psych evalution on someone who #1-has been in rehab for 7 days and #2-has been addicted to drugs for 7 years and pot for even longer.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I worked in a rehab for two years and my understanding is that they cannot do any kind of proper diagnosis until the person has been clean at least 6 months. That said, I am not a doctor and it very well may have been a proper diagnosis, but I think I'd take it with a grain of salt for now and trust that, if he needs medication for it and takes it as directed, it may help him a lot.

Hugs
Old 03-22-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

A lot of the time bipolar is diagnosed from a person's life history. Typically, any meds given to a bipolar person are not of "recreational" variety and not something to be abused. I am strongly "suspected" of being bipolar myself, though for now I am not using meds, with the exception of natural supplements and running/exercise and a proper diet.

That being said, I still haven't accepted fully whether or not I am bipolar, though it fits mostly. I would not worry about this as a way to abuse meds. I would worry about this as a way to excuse behaviour including use of substances when he gets out. Do Not Accept this as an excuse in any way shape or form. That would be a big concern if it were me.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I worked in a rehab for two years and my understanding is that they cannot do any kind of proper diagnosis until the person has been clean at least 6 months.
Exactly what I was told.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok thanks for the replies. I really can't see how they can do a psych evaluation on someone who is so unstable and has been using for so long. I am no doctor so I'm sure they know what they are doing but like one of you said bipolar or not that does not excuse any of what has been done.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They look at the history prior to drug use.....